I Forge Iron

Before I go and spend a bunch of money

I been in the market for a new anvil for a while now. Right now I have a 20# railroad rail and a old 70# cast iron ASO.

I keep striking out locally, ether I don't get to it in time or the deal does not go though. I'm also am haveing a hard time finding good anvils in grate shape.

So I decided to buy a new anvil. Before I go and spend a bunch of money I better ask someone that knows more then I do if I'm making a good deal or wasting my money.

I looked at a few anvils and I like the Ridgid Peddinghaus model 5 77 lb Anvil. it's a good weight and size for me, but the price is too high for me to buy it without getting a second opinion.

I done some reading and they look to be uber nice anvils, but quite as whell known or deocumeted like peter wright or fisher are.

So what I'm asking is if I should buy the Peddinghaus model 5 or look into something else? They seem to sell around 700$ US

Also sorry about my grammar my english is not the best.

1. Where in the world are you located?

2. What kind of forging are you planning on doing with this anvil?

1. I'd Prefer not to say much more than that I live in the USA, just want to know more about Ridgid Peddinghaus anvils, and if it's a good buy for around 700$

2. Mostly blade smithing, but some general blacksmithing, ornamental and armorsmithing as well. Basically anything that can be done with a anvil.

EDIT:

I found a Ridgid Peddinghaus model 5 77 lb Anvil for 650$ US shiped.

Also if I'm going to buy a anvil I'd like to get one that is in like new shape. This is whats making it hard to find one locally.

I can most definitely find one locally, just not in the shape I'm looking for.

prices are geographicaly dependant, While we can understand privacy, paranoia is going to far, ( I supppose I could tell you how easy it is to tell were a personis  Just because you  posted here, already :o

But its your call.   since we have no clue, we cant really give a answer.  so I guess the thread is over :(

Basically anything that can be done with a anvil.

I'd have to say that isn't really possible on a single anvil. There are so many different things that can be done on one type or size anvil but not others. Kinda like saying you want a vehicle you can do anything with that can be done with a vehicle.

I'd have to say that isn't really possible on a single anvil. There are so many different things that can be done on one type or size anvil but not others. Kinda like saying you want a vehicle you can do anything with that can be done with a vehicle.

I know, but about 80% of my work is blade smiting. I do a little of everything. but most days I'm forging knifes, swords and small axes.

prices are geographicaly dependant, While we can understand privacy, paranoia is going to far, ( I supppose I could tell you how easy it is to tell were a personis  Just because you  posted here, already :o

But its your call.   since we have no clue, we cant really give a answer.  so I guess the thread is over :(

True and I understand, but I'm sure someone can atleast tell me if it's a good anvil. I'm more than willing to pay the price, but not without knowing where it stands with other anvils. A good used anvil of comparable size would sell for around $400 to $500 where I live, $300 on a good day.

Everything I read leads me to believe their good anvils, I guess what I'm asking for is someone that knows more than me to tell me where the stack up when compared to other anvils

To put a state or time zone (northern or southern portion) as a location will greatly improve the information you get as it is based on things in *your* area. IF for instance you are in Alaska, shipping is going to be expensive no matter what you purchase. If you are in the southern side of the Pacific time zone, you have only 2 states, but it may be too far to drive to look at or pick up the anvil.

Peddinghaus is a known brand and good things have been said about the anvil and the anvil's shape. I would suggest you look for something in the 125-150 pound range as it will allow you to do both the work you are doing now and allow you to grow in the craft. There are many threads on anvil weight on the site.  The standard comment is I am looking for a larger anvil NOT I am looking for a smaller anvil.

The one thing about anvils is they are a lifetime tool, you only make the investment one time and the anvil will outlive you and go on to serve other owners. The used anvils of today have served more than one owner and will continue to serve. Many are 100 to 150 years old or older. Few working tools outside of the blacksmithing craft can say that.

Do a site search for TPAAAT. It will explain how to find the anvil you seek.

I've not had the opportunity to use a peddinghaus but I've heard nothing but good about them. My dream anvil is the #12 at 275lbs. Maybe one day! I would suggest looking at a bit larger one though, perhaps the 165lb model. If you do get one please give us a review!

Look into a JHM anvil, either the 125# Journeyman, or the 200+# Competitor. I have a Journeyman that I got from a retired farrier for $125, and it is a nice anvil. It is a farrier anvil, but it is more smithing anvil in shape than most other farrier anvils.

For the amount of money you are looking to spend you could make,scrounge, or even buy a new chunk of steel for a lot less.

• 6 months later...

Well kohlswa is know be a good anvil, the other I'm not familiar with. With such an investment why risk it. Especially if the kohlswa is as big and around the same price. Do a lot of research. I did before it dished out the money for my TFS, and it's great, good rebound and hard face, I love it! Just read as much as you can to make sure it's not a decision you will regret.

While I don't own a kohlswa I've only heard good things.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

There was a period when Kohlswa anvils weren't properly hardened but other than that period they're top shelf anvils. Can you visit this one to do a rebound test? You just drop a ball bearing and gauge how high it rebounds by eye though some of the guys here have a cool test rig to actually measure it in % of return. A small smooth face hammer will serve just fine, light taps and estimate the rebound. It's also much harder to lose the hammer than ball bearings. What you're looking for is a rebound higher than about 75% on a cast Swedish anvil and no dead spots. Tap or bounce different places on the face though a cast steel anvil doesn't have a face plate so it should be uniformly heat treated throughout.

I'm a serious fan of Swedish cast steel anvils, especially Soderfors anvils, my 125lb. Soderfors, Sorceress #5 rebounds in the 90%+ range. From what I can see in the picture I don't see any wear or damage. If it passes the rebound test and is a reasonable price I'd jump on that baby.

What is the asking price? That's usually the determining factor depending on condition and location.

Frosty The Lucky.

I would forget that light Aus anvil and grab that Kohlswa quick smart. I have a K in daily use and I like it very much. About 85% with the ball bearing test and just feels good to use. I also have a cast Australian anvil but it's not in the same league as the K.
Grab it before someone else does!