I Forge Iron

The Vulcan was a similar process and I once ran into a japanese made anvil that I believe was done the same way but probably back in the 1960's due to the quality issues---the face was fairly thin and had cupped when the base was cast onto it. (I must see if my friend still has it and see if there are any marks on it except for the "made in japan"

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Folks Today while out and about I ran accrost/ Seen a "Fisher Anvil" in near Mint condtion as it appears to have never been used at all ! the date is 1923 No eagle and I am not sure of the weight Fisher mark is in the foot area and another mark just on the other foot area ? it appears to be in the 80 to 100 LB range and has an asking price of $400. I shall try to get a few photos of it to post . What say ye as to its aqusition of this fine anvil @ 100% rebound ?

Hello Folks Today while out and about I ran accrost/ Seen a "Fisher Anvil" in near Mint condtion as it appears to have never been used at all ! the date is 1923 No eagle and I am not sure of the weight Fisher mark is in the foot area and another mark just on the other foot area ? it appears to be in the 80 to 100 LB range and has an asking price of $400. I shall try to get a few photos of it to post . What say ye as to its aqusition of this fine anvil @ 100% rebound ?

Pristine!   No Eagle, no problem.  No repairs needed!  Grab it.

I shall get photos of her today it has been painted Black . However , there is not a single mark on the face of her it is as slick as a Baby . I am thinking the feller did so to just prevent rust . I wish he had just waxed it insted . Gerrrr . 

Hey Frosty , what is it really worth or shall you reserve to see it ?

As promised, FISHER anvils from the Maine era of production, 1843(7) to 1852.  (Some dispute as to when they first made anvils in Newport Maine).  These two anvils are around 125 lbs.  Their edges are perfect.  The back anvil has some wear dips in the face.  This is one of the few early Fisher anvils that has this kind of wear.  The sweet spot was used for many years.   I actually drove to Maine to pick the front one up.  I did not want to risk any shipping damage or losing the anvil.

post-10347-0-68467000-1398730091_thumb.j

Three other early Fisher anvils, probable from the same era.  These anvils, a 20,30, and 40 lbers, do not have the traditional cutting shelf.  The large one under them is another Maine era Fisher, but had the horn ground back, probably due to damage.  It does look strange.

post-10347-0-36786100-1398730104_thumb.j

This is an example of the final design of the FISHER farrier anvil.  This particular anvil came from the Crossley plant when they closed.  It has never been cleaned, or struck.  It is NOS.  It was made sometime in the 1970's.   I have a second of this style that also was never used.  Found at a tool flea market, the seller had not idea what he had.  I did not enlighten him.

post-10347-0-51949600-1398730606_thumb.j

I just picked up this anvil at an auction for a good price.  You may not be able to tell from the photos but it looks like it has barely been used, needless to say I was not willing to leave the auction without it...

It has no logo---------but I'm almost 100% sure it is a Fisher because of the shape, bolt lugs, and weight cast into the right front foot (200).  It seems to have a heavily flaking layer of creamish colored paint over, what appears to be Navy Gray...  I suppose the gray could be some sort of primer, but I suspect it may have been the original paint job and this was a navy anvil, I believe the Navy purchased Fishers exclusively.  Given the lack of a logo I'm assuming it was perhaps cast in the 1950s or 60s?  The only markings I've found so far is a "200" cast into the front right foot and an upside-down "R65" cast on the base below the heel, there is also what looks like a little tag mounted that says "14065". 

Maybe you can weigh in on this Njanvilman, am I correct-----was this maybe a Navy Fisher from the aforementioned time period?

post-8275-0-73441500-1398831528_thumb.jppost-8275-0-69465900-1398831563_thumb.jppost-8275-0-59742000-1398831623_thumb.jp

Taitius

Yes, it is a FISHER, from the Crossley era (1961-1979) of anvil production.  They usually did not put any logos or name on these anvils.  The R65 is the date, the 65 indicating 1965.  The R might be for the pour designator.  I have not fully interpreted this yet.  The 200 is the weight.

The small tag is someones inventory tag.

I would not concern yourself with the paint color.  Most Fisher anvils were painted black on the base at the factory.  Some were unpainted.  The gray color is what "someone" painted it at some point in its life.  No real way to know who or when or why it was done in this color.

The Navy did use Fisher anvils on most of their ships.  That goes back to Clark Fisher who wrote the specs for anvils, or course favoring Fisher's.

Nice anvil.  Treat it right and it will last many generations.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up an 1860's FISHER twenty pounder at a local flea market today.  Great price, basic stole it.  Now I have to find a 30 pound FISHER from that era to complete the run from 10 to 100 lbs.  No markings except the weight # under the horn.  Kind of blocky looking.  Pictures later.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I may have an early fisher I would love to get a 2nd opinion on.

75# cast with 3/4 inch top plate and plated horn, the top plate does hang over a bit. one of previous owners sanded whole anvil and painted it (THICK). logo appears to be on both sides, looks like a eagle holding what i think is 2 arrows and something on the other side. there also appears to be alot of casted words above each logo right below the top plate but somebody did a good job sanding that down a long time ago..would anyone have an idea of when they used that logo along with this type of base? There appears to be a forge weld seam for the base being attached.

post-54904-0-31292900-1403206564_thumb.j  post-54904-0-08158500-1403206574_thumb.j  post-54904-0-91040800-1403206582_thumb.j

Based on the shape of the anvil in your photographs, I do not think it is a FISHER.  See if you can use some paint remover and wire wheel, and get rid of that glop.  Repost some better photos and it will become easier to tell what you have.

Well I took a couple pictures in the light after trying to clean it up more, when I said it was thick it was no joke and all I have is a wire brush.. I apologize i just don't have much for power tools so its taken quite a bit of time. Somebody had told me it may be early fisher before they stuck to a design in I think 1882 but who knows, alot of odd ball companys put out some anvils. They suggested I ask on this forum for a better answer though. Thanks for your time and taking a look.

post-54904-0-49098400-1403310044_thumb.j

post-54904-0-45616900-1403310263_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Looks like a sweet lady to me. What's less than perfect? . . . Hey, wait a second! What's this PERFECT thing?!

I'd move her right in, give her a dusting, maybe a coat of wax and put her to work.

Frosty The Lucky.

So, after watching this on Craigslist for a while I finally went and bought it.  1939 Fisher 150#  Not the best shape, but certainly usable.

IMG_20140810_164638_028_zpsclawu9oo.jpg

That anvil is as near perfect as it needs to be, great size, very good condition. Welcome to the craft. 

• 1 month later...

I came across this 200lbs anvil through a CL ad. The ad's picture had me thinking it was a Fisher from the shape and the placement of the "200" on the foot. This is my picture from when I went look at it yesterday. I was really hoping it was a Fisher for the guy only wanted $220 for it. Under the heel was a upside Y76, but no other markings. Rebound was really bad at like 30-35% and the face had several deep hammer marks. So was this a Chinese clone or just a abused Fisher?post-35726-0-59083200-1411966461_thumb.j

post-35726-0-16091700-1411966533_thumb.j

Hi I am a young smith, my name is Samuel Smith, I am 16 years old, I have been smithing for about 4 years and I have decided that its time to get a bigger anvil, the one I have has served me well, its a 115lb, but I would like a bigger one, the one I am looking at is a Fisher Norris blacksmith anvil its in awesome condition, its has a flat face and not many marks on it, its 200lbs, BUT its gona cost me about $550, would that be a good deal? I would really like some feed back, if u could spear me a few words, Thanks