I Forge Iron

Anvil Reviews by name or brand

Glenn

If you have used these anvils please post a review of that anvil to include weight, dimensions, and how the anvil worked for you. Photos are encouraged. Please include how you found the anvil and any history of YOUR anvil. This should be much like a book review, only an anvil review, where you comment on the specific anvil.

A suggested comment could be as follows

PICTURE (if available)
1) Weight, make, year of construction and material
2) Rebound test (%)
3) Where did I get it?
4) History
5) Personal review:

Why do use or prefer that anvil

Would I recommend it to someone else.

The following is a list of anvils (used with permission). I am sure there are others but this will be a start. If you know of other brands please all them to the list so we can write a review.

Acme
Ajax
Alsop
American-Ross
American Skein and Foundry
Arm and Hammer
Attwood Stourbridge
Badger
Baker
Bay State
Black Jack
Black Prince
Bradley
Brooks (Baker Vaughans Ltd.)
Brooks and Cooper
Buffalo Forge
Centaur Forge (by Kohlswa)
Central Forge (cast iron)
Champion
Charles Hadfield
Cliff Carrol
Columbus Anvil and Forging
Columbian Harden Co
Columbus Forge and Iron
Cranberry
CW
Delta
Denver
Dural DuraSteel
Euroanvil
Fireside
Fisher-Norris "Eagle"
Fulton
Grizzly (cast iron)
Hay Budden
Henery Wright
Herculies

Hofi
Indian Chief
Insonora
J.E. Pilcher
JHM Anvils
Kim Bach farriers anvil
Keen Kutter
KL
Kohlswa
Lakeside
Louisville Forged Anvil
M & H Armitage
Mankel
MFC Hollow Core
Mouse Hole
Nimba
NC-Tool
Oak Leaf
Old Forge
Old World
Onsteel Paragon
Pedinghaus
Peter Wright
Rat Hole Forge
Record
Refflinghaus

Rhino
R. Redding
Rock Island
Roberts Anvil
Sampson
SISCO (Swedish Iron and Steel)
Sligo
Snyder & Oaks
Soderfors
Southern Crescent
Standard
Star
Trenton
Trenton Indian Chief
"USA" cheap cast iron
Valley
Vernaium Steel

Village Forge
Vulcan Arm-Hammer
West
Wilkinson
William Foster
WT (Wholsale Tool - cast iron)
Yost "Y" in a circle

I spoke with Mr Richard Postman and he graciously gave his permission to use the names and brands listed in his book.

Vanadium 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

i'd like to know if anyone has some info on " Sanderson Brothers " anvils ... all i can find out is ... they worked metal ... and they were located in Sheffield,England

maybe some of the UK folks know more ? 

• 1 month later...

How about Hofi and Rhino?

Just add your review. Surely someone will welcome it. 

Since I am posting, I will review the only three brands I can verify using; Hay Buddens  are my all around favorite (I have never used an anvil which is not a London pattern).

I have owned and or used many Hay Buddens, the newer ones with the solid tool steel top half are amazing yet I have never hurt my main anvil, an old steel plated wrought iron Hay budden. 

I have used Peter Wright's. It is my opinion that the top plates are too hard, even on the larger (3-400#) They frequently are chipped badly or missing chunks. 

I have a mint condition Fisher, I have it mounted higher and use it for lighter work, I can't say enough good about it. 

• 3 weeks later...

1) 50# Vancouver Iron & Steel CO , approx 1922-1933 . Cast steel with thick hardened steel face. Casting lines were left undressed on these.
2) Ball bearing drop from 10inch consistently between 82-85% 
3) Farmer clearing out his barn, his uncle bend cold horse shoes on it and the face is still in good shape.
4) Vancouver Iron & Steel CO was a merger between 2 company's which later switched from CO to INC with a 3rd merger and is still in business today. 
5) I really like this anvil, it is very rare and they did not produce many of anvils although they made a quality product.

I paid 40$ for this anvil, the guy wanted 20$ but I felt bad at that price, I thought it might be a vulcan and I wanted a quieter anvil but turns out it wasn't. I would not sell this anvil for 200$ if offered, it is very portable and really well made and I have only seen 1 other for sale but I suspect some may be misjudged as a vulcan and passed by. 

Would I recommend it to someone else: YES. I only wish they made more anvils and also larger. But if you find one in usable condition at a good price it is a nice little piece.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah guys me and my Soderfors again. <grin> It's a 1933, 125lb. sorceress #5 in near mint condition, there are a few small chips from the edges and Ive radiused them at the horn end.

Before the internet went public I was lucky to find anything about blacksmithing, my only book was "The Art Of Blacksmithing" by Alex Bealer and not knowing any better I put my Soderfors to his quality test. I laid a cold chisel on the face and gave it a stout blow with a 3lb. hammer. It's something I'd never do to any anvil now, a ball bearing or rap with a ball pein is so much safer all round. What it did was flatten the chisel and not leave a mark on the anvils face. Good according to Bealer so the next test was to lay a new sharp draw file across the face and see if it cut. It nearly scated, barely shining the face at all and better still it cut across the entire face so it was flat.

According to Bealer it was hard enough and the temper had been drawn down correctly to approximately a rc60-62. Mr. Bealer would've considered my Soderfors a good anvil. Good to know eh?

A bearing test from around 10" will bounce the bearing back almost to height. I haven't done it with a ruler so all I can say is it's darned near all the way, mid to high 90% at a guestimate.

I've never used a better anvil and I've had the privilege of using some darned nice anvils, a friend's Kohlswa is close but it's lighter, that may be the difference.

That's my assessment of my Soderfors, best anvil I've ever used, if you get a chance buy it. If you have an old Soderfors in your way or you don't like, PM me I'll send you my address, I have the perfect place for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Is this where we can request a review?  Maybe nudge someone to actually put it in writing instead of putting it off?

I have been seriously considering a Nimba Centurion, I have the ability to get free shipping so that would knock some off the price of obtaining one.  I have searched the forums and saw what has been said in passing regarding them, but I'd like a nice in depth review with maybe some pictures after several years of use.

Is this where we can request a review?  Maybe nudge someone to actually put it in writing instead of putting it off?

I have been seriously considering a Nimba Centurion, I have the ability to get free shipping so that would knock some off the price of obtaining one.  I have searched the forums and saw what has been said in passing regarding them, but I'd like a nice in depth review with maybe some pictures after several years of use.

I would suggest you put your question in the regular anvils section also. I can't really help you but a friend has one and loves it.

200lb Fisher.  Dated 1942, military surplus.  Rebound 85%.  This is my main anvil.  It spoiled me.  (my neighbors love it too, but don't know it).

001-4.jpg

My second is a 126lb Kohlswa.  Cast steel.  Rebound 75%.  Rings like a bell.  Bought it for a demo anvil.  Works very well, too loud for neighborhood work. 

003-13.jpg

Lastly is a 1911 Mouse Hole.  92lbs.  Wrought/ steel top.  Rebound 65%.  I bought this one for a demo anvil as it is lighter and has that gnarly look that speaks of history. 001-15.jpg

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, smithatheart said:

I have a 153 lb peter wright anvil and it is different to most peter wrights I have seen its face is 4.5 inches it just looks different if any of you could shed any light on it that would be great

I few pictures  of your anvil would greatly assist us in helping you.

• 2 months later...

Mine is a 1901 Soderfors 225#.  Paid $800 for it. Loud as can be and fantastic rebound. Best anvil I've ever had the pleasure of using. A previous owner mangled the far edge a bit by using it as a torch cutting table, but that hasn't caused any issues. I may or may not repair it. So far though, I like it how it is

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2014 at 8:22 PM, jmccustomknives said:

200lb Fisher.  Dated 1942, military surplus.  Rebound 85%.  This is my main anvil.  It spoiled me.  (my neighbors love it too, but don't know it).

I think my anvil and yours must be sisters! Mine's 1941 (200 pound? I haven't been able to weigh it yet but it has the 20 on the foot like this one) Fisher. They really look a lot alike... I haven't done work on mine yet as I'm just getting my forge set up, but I already know the neighbors will love it too. 90-92% rebound. I got it from a guy in Forks, WA but it doesn't look like the sparkly vampires have gotten to her yet. Sadly I don't know her history. I'd definitely recommend a Fisher, the guy didn't know about testing rebound, so he had grabbed his 10 pound sledge, and swung at the face as hard as he could to test for rebound... and luckily the face is still good.

DSC_0440.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What do you guys think of vulcan anvils. It is posted on craigslist in Paris Texas. Alas can't post pics yet. (Glenn is working on it) so it weighs 100 lbs and the top looks good, it has some chipping on the edges. So assuming that the ring and rebound tests are good do yall think that it is worth $275? 

Also if this doesn't pan out what is everyone's opinion on just getting a new anvil of a good reputation?

I found a store called Texas ferriers supply in kennedale Tx they have new ferrier anvils they are $275 for 65lb'ers. Has anyone ever had any dealings with this store?

We have a good vertical rr iron anvil. We were just cruising through craigslist and decided to share our thoughts here. Maybe get some advice.

What do you guys think of vulcan anvils. It is posted on craigslist in Paris Texas. Alas can't post pics yet. (Glenn is working on it) so it weighs 100 lbs and the top looks good, it has some chipping on the edges.

Hope you don't mind. I looked it up for you and posted the picture. What about that 396# mousehole for $2,000? Maybe you could get him to drop the price $1,500 or so.... lol

vulcan.anvil.275.jpg