I Forge Iron

Building a brick forge

NickG231

Being that i am somewhat new to blacksmithing and only 18 years old i do not have a wealth of knowledge on Building a forges, but i and dying to upgrade from my current small charcoal forge. I am wondering why i do not see more plans for Brick forges, as i have recently purchased a couple of tons of bricks to build myself a more permanent and higher quality forge. 

If anyone has plans for a simple brick forge i would love to see them. Keep in mind that i have never done any real masonry work, but i learn quite quickly. 

Im looking to build something similar to this,but with only one work station. 

post-39826-0-94469100-1392853949_thumb.j

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

-Nick

being of limited experience myself i think that most people dont build brick forges like the one you have pictured because it is not moveable once it is built unless you feel like tearing it down it is a permanent structure in a persons shop and when a person aquires more equipment they have to work around the room left by the brick forge not being able to move the forge around to better arrange their shop. just my thoughts though.

Good Morning,

I woudn't build a fixed forge unles you are in a location where you will never move.

You should post your location so someone close to you can offer some guidance. "ASK TWICE, CUT ONCE"

You can build a coal forge that is way more portable than the Brick Forge. I would get some time forging under your belt before making a decision on a permanent fixture. You can use some of your bricks to make a propane forge.

Neil

Being that i am somewhat new to blacksmithing and only 18 years old i do not have a wealth of knowledge on Building a forges, but i and dying to upgrade from my current small charcoal forge. I am wondering why i do not see more plans for Brick forges, as i have recently purchased a couple of tons of bricks to build myself a more permanent and higher quality forge. 

If anyone has plans for a simple brick forge i would love to see them. Keep in mind that i have never done any real masonry work, but i learn quite quickly. 

Im looking to build something similar to this,but with only one work station. 

attachicon.gifBrick_Forge.jpg

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

-Nick

Nick,

This is a cool topic. I too would like to have a brick or masonry type. What I'd like to find is some drawings or blueprints that could be handed to a mason or bricklayer with instructions to "go ahead do this"

I've heard tell that stuff like that can be gotten from ABANA?

Hope it works out for you.

George

Check out this link. It describes building a hood of steel based on a brick forge pattern. There is a drawing with all the dimensions of the brick chimney. I have used the original forge shown in the link and have used a metal example similar to the one described for years. There is no forge chimney that will draw any better.

www.beautifuliron.com/steelhoods 

Can't get the direct link to work so you'll have to type the above link into Google search

Moxon describes a masonry side blast forge in "Mechanics Exercises"  (the complete book not the reprints of just the printing section)  Practical Blacksmithing; Richardson; has several masonry forges shown/described.

These are historical sources from periods where you expect to stay put once you opened your shop for business.

You may have already found it but the link below is one person's building of a brick forge.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/blueprints/100-series/bp0553-building-a-brick-forge-r1094

I agree with the others. Brick forges are hard to move or modify and a lot more expensive than a simple metal table with 4 legs and a pot in the middle. They do look nice. Appearance is the only advantage.

I have a nearby blacksmith friend who made a brick forge that works fine as far as I can see but he now would like to improve it. However, that does mean taking hammers and breaking it all apart to start over.

I know several smiths with masonry forges that mainly use them as tables for their propane forges nowadays.

Jeremy I envy you; the first 6 years of my marriage we moved every year and then spent 15 years in a large old house---the move from that place near to kilt me as we didn't have the yearly winnowing to cut down on cruft.  We're hoping that we're in our last home now...

I would absolutely love to have a really big masonry forge.  That, to me, is the perfect smithing set up, but it requires a bit of permanency in your life because it's a very large investment.  

While I like the ease of propane, there's nothing quite like using coal to make metal hot.