I Forge Iron

Challenger Disaster and me

njanvilman

28 years ago today, the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster happened.  It touched me particularly hard because I had been one of the applicants for the "Teacher in Space" program.  From my days in Elementary School watching the Gemini and Apollo liftoffs on a grainy black and white TV to the days of the shuttle, I was and still am a great supporter of all that NASA does.  I had been teaching for about 8 years at that point.  I went on to teach Woodworking and Metalworking for over 27 more years to thousands of students, and had a great influence that is still being felt today by many more people.

Richard Postman's book on Anvils obviously changed my life.  I saved the remnants of the Fisher(Crossley) factory before demolition.  I have assembled the most comprehensive collection of FISHER products to augment what I saved in the factory.   I have made many friends in this Blacksmithing community.  I married and raised two daughters that have made their mark in the world. 

I often wonder(like in "Its a Wonderful Life") what would have been if I had been on that flight.  But I was not, and I am here, alive, and enjoying retirement, anvil hunting, and most importantly, friends and family.

Joshua Kavett

njanvilman

I remember being in a thrift store looking at used tv's and wondering what the heck those two eratic white plumes were racing across a blue background and why so many people were watching it.......On a happier note I also remember getting up early in Sarasota FL to go fishing on the bay and seeing another plume darting skyward with a brite light at the top. I was looking all the way across the peninsula watching the shuttle rise with the sun, I don't need a picture to invision that again.......... B) .......Seems you chose a line of endeavor that includes many firmly earthbound objects, glad you're still around. mb

There is nothing in progress that is free. The choice is, Do we Learn from the Hic-cups or not!!!

If 'If's and Ands made Pots and Pans, then Tinkets would be Kings'. Glad you're still standing on the Dirt, Joshua!!!

When you hear the lawnmower overhead, you're done!!!  Till then keep on kickin' and tickin'. :) :)

Neil