I Forge Iron

Best 'store' bought propane burner?

Spruce

Hey all,

Just wondering what the best option is for a bought, off the shelf, working propane burner?  I am still tweaking my home made burners, but I may at some point try switching to an industrial or professional burner.  The best I seem to be able to find are the Rex hybrid burners.  Are there others?  Advice?  Thanks!  Oh, and by the way, I am looking for naturally aspirated burners, not blown.

Spruce

Check out Thermal Art Design.  They call their burner the JF#1 - I've seen them in action, they seem to be a nice burner, and the people who have them say nothing but good things about them.  Me, I make something like the Porter burner - it's not as fancy as the hybrid burner, but it's not as pricey either.

If you want natural aspiration, why not make your own? There is tons of info on doing so, and the construction is as simple as it gets, plus the cost is minimal. Although I'm a fan of ribbon burners for my forge, I use 2 venturi burners for my salt heat treating pots because they're simple and inexpensive. I just run them wide open ( no choke)  which is what I guess most folks do as well, and control the heat with the gas pressure.

John

www.gearhartironwerks.com

Thanks for the info fellas - those Genshiemer burers sound very interesting.  I will probably try to get in touch with him to see how much he's charging these days.  Anyone know a price offhand?  And contact info?

And any other recomendations?

John - I have made my own burners - 2 Reil burners, 2 Zoeller burners, and 2 Frosty burners.  I'm getting sick of making burners.  My last 2, Frosty burners, seem to work the best, but for whatever reason don't reach welding heat.  I'm not sure if my forge is a little too small and has backpressure, or what, but I've been tweaking a lot, (see my other thread) and haven't managed to get it to work yet.  I can't reach white hot, and can barely reach yellow.  I'm sure that it is something very simple I'm missing, and maybe with try number 4 they would be perfect, but right now time is money for me.  Every second I spend working with a sub-par forge, or working on burners, is a second I don't get to be blacksmithing, which with my limited time, is the main goal.  So, I'm thinking about trying professional burners that I KNOW will get hot enough.  Just one more variable I can rule out.

Spruce

Thanks for the info fellas - those Genshiemer burers sound very interesting.  I will probably try to get in touch with him to see how much he's charging these days.  Anyone know a price offhand?  And contact info?

And any other recomendations?

John - I have made my own burners - 2 Reil burners, 2 Zoeller burners, and 2 Frosty burners.  I'm getting sick of making burners.  My last 2, Frosty burners, seem to work the best, but for whatever reason don't reach welding heat.  I'm not sure if my forge is a little too small and has backpressure, or what, but I've been tweaking a lot, (see my other thread) and haven't managed to get it to work yet.  I can't reach white hot, and can barely reach yellow.  I'm sure that it is something very simple I'm missing, and maybe with try number 4 they would be perfect, but right now time is money for me.  Every second I spend working with a sub-par forge, or working on burners, is a second I don't get to be blacksmithing, which with my limited time, is the main goal.  So, I'm thinking about trying professional burners that I KNOW will get hot enough.  Just one more variable I can rule out.

Spruce

We still have left few burners :)

post-51199-0-94792000-1391207502_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

He quoted $110 to me this week - PM me for contact information.