I Forge Iron

Treadle hammer pros and cons?

I am thinking of building a treadle hammer, and I would like to hear the good bad and ugly about them. I have all I need to make the treadle, but I would need to invest a few dollars to make a power hammer. As a hobby blacksmith is it worth it the time and money to build a power hammer or will a treadle be good enough? 

for what? they both move metal, so does a hand hammer.    If you are moving 12inch rounds like some of the members here, you will want a very large power hammer. If you are making key chain leaves, not so much.  Its a hard question with out knowing the intended use.

One down side to a treadle hammer would be floor space lost. I have a treadle hammer and have been very please with it. I also have a small power hammer but I have a shop with 1800 sq feet.

If I only had 100 sq feet I would probably get ride of the treadle hammer. I know a hand full of smiths that have small shops and must plan very carefully for equipment

The strongest argument for a treadle hammer is that if you work alone it gives you the benefit of an extra pair of hands; I make lots of things using the treadle hammer that I simply could not do without it.

Obviously it is cheaper to build than a power hammer - I didn't build mine - but they are very different tools in what they enable you to do: a treadle hammer can - to a degree - replace a striker, while a power hammer opens up a whole new range of possibilities, you'll get expert opinion from somebody on here.

I don't want / need a power hammer because I don't make stuff that requires one, I did need a treadle hammer because a lot of the stuff I make would require a striker, which I rarely have access to.

I'm not worried about the space my treadle takes up, maybe 1' x 3', even though my whole work area is just 7' x 15' I fit it in with a forge, bosh, anvil, leg-vice, small table, swage block, floor mandrel, tool / stock shelves + racks and a tyre-bender. My point being that you make room and work around + with things as you have to.

I'm an amateur whose hobby just about pays for itself, so I guess that the pro's on here will very likely have different views to me but, overall, the treadle hammer is a tool I would never want to give up unless I had a striker on call whenever needed.

A treadle hammer approximates a striker with a sledge; a power hammer is good for drawing and repetitive work. Both can be tooled for special work, such as swaging or bending. Each has its advantages but I would probably build a treadle before a PH, given the choice, in a home shop.

Greetings Teach,

You are asking a question which you will get a lot of different views...  Each piece of equipment has its place...  It all depends on the work you wish to accomplish.   If you are going to be drawing out bars a lot you will need a power hammer ..  Detail work , punching, cutting. repousse, chase, you will want a treadle hammer..   I have 3 treadle hammers and 3 power hammers.   If I just could only have only one it would be the treadle hammer based on the work that I do now...  I suggest if that if you start with a treadle hammer and if it does not fill your expectations they are easy to sell than move up to power..  Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Clearly, by all the comments, they both are good for different projects.  I work by myself, and I only have a power hammer.  To me, the power hammer is so much fun, I love using it and try to find project that require a power hammer somewhere in the process.  Good luck. 

A treadle hammer is not a power hammer and a power hammer is not a treadle hammer, but then a 3 pound hammer is not a 10 pound sledge hammer and a 10 pound sledge hammer in not a 3 pound hand hammer.  You may be able to accomplish the project with the wrong tool but it is best to use the correct tool for the correct job.  I have both and use both and would not be without either.

If you would like to see an Iron Kiss power hammer being used for treadle hammer single blow work take a look on youtube at jcl10000.  Just a thought provoker and not an advertisement.  You can also look into the late Grant Sarver's Naked Anvil youtube videos where he shows a unique treadle hammer.

When I first started out, the treadle hammer is the first piece of equipment I made and could afford. I used it a lot for the first couple of years. Now I have 3 power hammers, fly press, and a hydraulic press and now it just sits and looks pretty. It does get used at open forges I host. When my boys were young they loved to use it for a can crusher.

I took a course by Mark Aspery, he said he would never own a treadle hammer, he believes they are inherently unsafe, and he uses a fly press instead. I could not get him to elaborate, Now Mark and Mindy Gardner do incredible stuff on a treadle. I have one just don't use it much yet. But I will, I will!

I took a course by Mark Aspery, he said he would never own a treadle hammer, he believes they are inherently unsafe, and he uses a fly press instead. I could not get him to elaborate, Now Mark and Mindy Gardner do incredible stuff on a treadle. I have one just don't use it much yet. But I will, I will!

I'm speculating here but he is probably concerned with the head coming off due to bad construction or design. It is also easy to develop the bad habit of putting a hand under the head and getting mashed. Either objection can be overcome with proper assembly and training for use.

A fly press is a great tool, as is a power hammer, as is a treadle hammer (especially in a one person shop). It's nice to be able to have at least one of each.

Greetings HW , Thank you for the tip on using the treadle hammer for a can crusher . I will add that to my list of 1257 other things that i can do on the hammer . Spend a day in my shop and I ll bet you will dust it off and use it. Stomp on and make beautiful things Jim

Hello everyone. I don't post much at all, I just read and learn. To much your opinion is better than the other. I just stay out of it and take what i learn to the anvil. But when your right your right. Just be nice about it, you don't have to put the other person down or degrade them. I spent 4 hrs. in Jim Cokes shop today (Thanks a million Jim) and by the end of this summer i'll have a treadle in my little one man shop. We didn't spend much time on the treadle but what he showed me was worth a treadles wheight gold. I can see where a treadle just makes things simpler and easier.

Greetings HW , Thank you for the tip on using the treadle hammer for a can crusher . I will add that to my list of 1257 other things that i can do on the hammer . Spend a day in my shop and I ll bet you will dust it off and use it. Stomp on and make beautiful things Jim

No problem Jim! I still use it from time to time, especially when I need some quick. I am actually thinking of taking it up north this year along with my 25 lb Little Giant for my new shop.

I just finished my treadle hammer last summer. And I love it! The build is posted here. If I were to do it again i would build the inline version rather than the swing type like I did. As far as pros and cons I really can't answer that, but I can tell you that if you work alone like I do, then the treadle is the greatest assistant for punching, drifting, chisel work, and cutting. I would also say that it may make these processes safer. Did I mention that I love my treadle hammer!?!

• 3 months later...