I Forge Iron

The problem with this whole endevour is I am not in charge of the timing, the owner has an insurance business that keeps him hopping, and getting him to go out after this thing is very difficult. He cancelled twice on the first trip. If it were up to me, we would have gone back already. But if it is meant to be, we will get it, if not, it has been a fun adventure. More to come.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Well it appears to me that this is not the anvil he was thinking of, so we might have to go out again and find another one, but this one finally got pulled from the bottom of the creek, yes 3+ years later!! Lots of work to do on this old boy!!

bridge anvil 1.jpg

bridge anvil 2.JPG

Often cast iron; used a lot as disposable tooling in the old cable tool drilling of wells. I own one and use it mainly as a large flat area. I also found one in the desert out back of the university surplus auction.  They wouldn't sell it so I had my friend that teaches fine arts metals get it "loaned to her class room..."  Finally a place for the unskilled users of sledges rather than my nice anvils during smithing classes!

Greetings Mike, 

Glad to see you back on IFI.  If that anvil could talk I'm sure it would have quite a tale to tell..  Seems like I saw one just like it on CL for 1000... LOL .. I hope things are going well for you and family, The forge is always open if you find yourself in the north country.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim