I Forge Iron

Forging in an igloo!

The only fires the polar native makes in an ice house is an oil lamp. Igloo isn't a native word but I don't recall the origin. almost any earthly temp on one side 1' of snow and the other side will be 27f within less than 2 degrees. Snow caves are a tried and true winter camp/survival shelter. It's hard to beat sleeping in a snow cave, a little visquene to keep your sleeping bag dry and a proper domed roof so you don't get dripped on and it's bug snug in any weather.

We used camp in snow caves every winter when I was in Scouts in Washington state up on Mt Rainer. Getting the roof nice and smooth to avoid drips was the tough part.

I see Co2 and CO confused on this site alot,,,I think we  be really carful not to do that!

Yep, CO2 is a gas that your lungs expel as waste product from the hemoglobin in your blood.  CO is a gas that binds to your hemoglobin and doesn't let go.  It prevents it from transporting oxygen to your cells.  If too much CO binds that way, you can no longer get enough O2 to your cells and you die.  Worse, you don't feel short of breath, so it hard to tell when it is happening.  I keep a CO detector in the same area as my forge.  If it goes off, I shut the fire off and walk away, immediately!  

DW, thank you! i though it would be adventurous and  interesting but yeah, seems like too big a risk now unfortunately. I will still be making the igloo for a night shelter for a few nights (though not necessary, still a fun endeavor) , just not going to forge in it. As an explanation of why i thought of this, i was homeless for two years and had to survive via makeshift shelters and igloos were my favorite by far. I have been very fortunate to find a girl who loved me regardless and gave me a place to live and I have gotten myself together in the meantime. Great thanks to my special lady(who is an artist and has some experience working steel)! The wanderlust never left my blood from being a hobo from shop to shop but I can gladly say i have found a home. Forever a nomad, forever a smith!

_Crazy Ivan