I Forge Iron

How small can you go ???

Dear Ted,

I have read a number of diaries and journals of 19th century Oregon Trail immigrants and haven't come across a mention of "prairie diamond" rings.  Do you have a reference to a period mention of the practice?

I'm not trying to sharp shoot or nit pick you.  It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more about it and document it.

Also, thanks for the advice. I have made a number of things for my late wife's medieval castle doll house and agree with your tips.   

George M. 

Because I was the blacksmith who donated a few orders of Prairie Diamond Rings,

I have had a some people approached me who wanted to tell me of their personal stories about the Prairie Diamond Ring.

One lady was actually given the custody (in a will) of the family horseshoe nail (Prairie Diamond) ring that was used by

her ancestors who had crossed the prairie as I have attempted to describe.

So it sounds like a true concept of history to me. 

It is my understanding that it is not appropriate to speak in any detail about a religious group on this site, but one may Google the key words

and follow the trail of the web sites.

I hope you understand. 

Here's an early (and bad) photo of one of my first attempts at a small one, 1/4" stock held in vise grips to cut using my not-really-portable band saw, which is mounted on a wall in my shop. My newer ones are better, I've taken to flattening just about 1/8" on each of the 4 "legs" just a bit, gives a nice look. But they end up in people's pockets really fast! Stupid friends. Sigh...I consider it first year marketing, they all have to promise to wear it and tell people who made it!

That cross is really nice work, you are getting better all the time. I bet they would look great with a few lines of brushed brass. If you felt like trying something new you could get some lead free solder and tin plate part of the cross. It works for steel frying pans so it should work for a steel cross. 

Ernest

This is as small as I've ever been able to go. The knot on my key ring. Multiple attempts to form a ring on the end kept burning up the steel till I gave up, drilled a hole and ran a split ring thru it. I did get a rare chance to use my 1 lb straight peen though.

post-182-0-85259400-1410806517_thumb.jpg

Dear Ted,

Thanks.  I will pursue that line of research.  I tend to be a bit skeptical of anything that comes down in oral history, e.g. this X came across the plains in a covered wagon when actually it came on the Union Pacific when it was ordered from Sears, unless there is some period reference in a diary, newspaper, letter, etc..  Sometimes the oral history is spot on and sometimes it is skewed.

Yours,

George