I Forge Iron

Replacement bracket for post vise

trevarthan

I bought a post vise this weekend. It's missing a bracket for mounting, and a spring. It came with a 1/4" thick strip of plate, bent into a strap, so I'm using that, lag bolted to a 4x4 piece of lumber, horizontally. I'm using a wood wedge between the vise and 4x4 to tighten everything up.

Here's a photo:
13z8haa.jpg

This is a pretty crappy setup. It works in a pinch, but it's impossible to get enough clamping force from soft pine lumber, across grain like this. The wood just crushes and eventually the vise loosens up.

I read about the various types of clamps these vises came with, originally, and I think I'd like to fabricate a u-bolt style clamp. Anyone have any idea where I can get some appropriately sized u-bolts?

Also, if anyone is selling an original mounting bracket, I'm interested.

I tried a first attempt at forging my own replacement spring this past weekend from mild steel. It's not great, but I think it'll do for now. :)

If you don't want it all threaded, get some plain rod and thread the tends yourself with a die. before you bend it.

One other option would be to see a muffler shop or spring shop. Spring shops usually have axle bolts on hand or can bend you one up pretty quick  ( also doesn't hurt to know these guys in case you need spring material later on...) The clamps muffler shops stock are pretty limited in size but they might work depending on what you need.

My local hardware store has "U" bolts from little bitty to 6 or 8 inches across.  They are usually in the gates and fencing area.  However, A piece of flat plate, drill 4 holes, a piece of heavy angle, same 4 holes.  4 bolts.  The plate goes on the inside, the angle iron on the outside, bolt it up tight.  The angle iron is your mount, so drill a couple of holes in the other side of the angle as well.  There you go.

The spring can just be a piece of mild.  One end goes under the clamp you just built, the opposite ends needs a couple of ears that rest outside of the floating leg.  Put just enough of a bend in the spring to hold the legs apart.  All done.

Geoff

Greetings Trev,

I don't see your post leg bent enough to worry about...   First I would make up the spring so that it has tension on the movable part at about 4 inches open ..  More than that will be a problem and hard to work with...  If you want it original looking you have 4 more parts to make...   Look up under vices in the vise  section .   This would be a good exercise in blacksmithing...  Nice find and I wish you well.

Forge on and make beautiful things..

Jim

Nice job on the spring.  I prefer the wedge connection that are on three of the four post vices that are at my house right now.  Simple to take off to move. 

http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/vice-spring-277231859

http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/vice-wedges-277231611

The half around the leg is simple to make and the other could just be a piece of flat stock folded over and bolted down onto the bench with enough room for the wedges to pull the two pieces together.  If you can forge weld or weld you could make it nicer looking but not necessary.  

Nothing worth straightening on that leg, better than mine and I'm just using my vises. Plenty good job on the spring, mild steel is plenty good enough. I made mine from spring steel and I did WAY too much work for the job it does.

Search around the site for leg vise pics, you'll see so many different ways to mount the things you may have trouble deciding which is easiest for you. Personally I prefer the easiest operation (whatever I'm doing) that does the job with a reasonable safety factor.

Frosty The Lucky.

Self threading with a die sounds good. Where would I pick up a die?

Most home centers, Sears, auto parts stores as well as industrial supply houses carry dies. You can buy sets or individual ones. Given a choice, you want to get ones that are high speed steel vs the cheaper carbon steel dies. They will last longer. The dies come in standard threading sizes. In the US most are National Course, but some are National Fine. Most typical nuts and bolts are course threaded. They also sell pipe dies as well that are tapered. They are usually marked say 1/2" NPT for National Pipe Taper.

I picked up tow full sets from Sears years ago. One set in standard that has both course and fine threaded taps and dies as well as a metric thread set. Then I've got a bunch of individual dies and taps I've bought over the years.

Along with the die you will probably want to get a matching wrench designed to be used with the die. Some cheap ones are round and you pretty much must have the wrench to use them. Others are hex shaped on the outside and you can turn them with a standard wrench of the correct size.  The die wrenches though have handles on each side and that makes it a lot easier to keep the dies straight on the work as you run them down.

These videos may help you understand this.

My giant work-horse post vice [8 inch jaws] came with a bent mount that would not tighten up. Took it to a good friends shop and he cut me out a one-piece mount in the shape of a crow's head. Welded on a 90 degree mount after drilling and went to the local nut and bolt place and bought a u bolt the size I needed and put everything back together. Works great and I smile every time I see that old crow there.

Be a little creative- have some fun- get your vice working!

Dave

Nice job on the spring.  I prefer the wedge connection that are on three of the four post vices that are at my house right now.  Simple to take off to move. 

http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/vice-spring-277231859
http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/vice-wedges-277231611

The half around the leg is simple to make and the other could just be a piece of flat stock folded over and bolted down onto the bench with enough room for the wedges to pull the two pieces together.  If you can forge weld or weld you could make it nicer looking but not necessary.

That combination wedge/tenon is really cool. I also appreciate the close view of the spring. All the photos I've seen to date were smaller and less clear. I like the 90 degree bend at the top. Looks like it makes it easier to assemble. The smooth curve is nice too.

Here's a straightened photo of my spring. It didn't show up on it's side when I posted it from my ipad last night, but it's on it's side on the laptop this morning. I'd edit the post, but it looks like I can't edit posts from yesterday or something.

2vsnimo.jpg

Your welcome.  The nice thing is if you put a piece of 2 by 4 in between the legs just under the spring box and close the jaws you can knock out the wedges and remove the vice without fiddling with stuff.  Then put it all back together by just tapping in the wedges when you get where your going.  I do this all the time and have grown to love this connection for that and many other reasons.  

Stephen, the part the wraps the vise looks like a rectangular 1/2" steel plate, folded around something square, with slots drilled or drifted in the ends (not necessarily in that order). I think I can make that.

What about the mounting plate? 1" steel bar, flattened on one end? I'm not sure I can heat 1" steel bar sufficiently in my small brake drum forge. It would be an interesting experiment though.

Probably not all that hard to remove, you just need to rethink a few things. Instead of bolts, go with threaded studs and nuts to secure the bracket to the post. When done, simply spin off the 3 nuts and lift the vise off the studs and you are done. A cordless drill with an adapter and socket will make short work of spinning out the nuts. You could probably also use knurled knobs to do the same thing,

My portable leg vise right now is a 6x6 post attached to a large piece of 5/8" plate at the bottom. To attach the bracket to the post, I simply use my inmpact driver to zing down 3 lag bolts in the holes and back them out when done. It's probably taken me 5 times longer to type this than it does to pull the vise off.

I can't see the facebook photos for some reason, but the google plus photos are nice. It took me a while to realize the numeric markings are 10s of millimeters, but after that it made sense. Looks like 1/2" plate, 1 1/2" wide for the part that holds the vise. Hard to say how long it is, but I can guesstimate.