I Forge Iron

The heat treating books from ASM are increasing in number

The heat treating books from ASM are increasing in number, besides the 1991 edition of volume 4, Heat Treating by ASM, there now is:

Practical Heat Treating / Edition 2 (2006), by Jon L. Dossett, and Howard E. Boyer

and now a 2013 edition

ASM Handbook, Vol 4A: Steel Heat Treating Fundamentals and Processes

Editor(s): Jon Dossett and George E. Totten

And New ASM Handbooks, Volume 4B—Heat Treating of Irons and Steels, and Volume 4C—Induction Heating and Heat Treatment, will be published next according to the ASM website.

I have a copy of the 1991 edition of volume 4, which of the heat treating books by ASM or other publisher is/are best for heat treating knives?

If you are using an alloy that has been around a while, any of the handbooks that include it will probably do.  The thing to be wary of is that the heat treatment is designed for items 1" in cross section and so knifeblades will need a variation on what works for the thicker stuff.

• 6 months later...

... which of the heat treating books by ASM or other publisher is/are best for heat treating knives?

I don't think this question was answered. Is there a good book that would cover heat treatment of knives and tools made from some of the less expensive steels like 1045, 1095, and recycled springs? I have purchased a couple books and they really did not deal with the more ordinary high carbon steels. The ones I tried were Tool Steel Simplified by Palmer, Luerssen, Pendleton and also Heat Treatment Selection, and Application of Tool Steels by Bryson.

Thomas,

It took me a couple days to get around to re-reading the heat treating chapter in "The Complete Bladesmith". I just finished it. It is a good overview of the heat treating process but does not have many specific comments for particular grades of steel. Included in that chapter is a key comment. He says "Remember to check the tables as to hardening and tempering temperatures." Unfortunately the book does not contain any tables or detailed recommendations for heat treating specific metals. He does not make any recommendations either about where to find this. I looked in his bibliography and there was one heat treating book listed but no comments about it to know what it contains or if it is any good. The Complete Bladesmith is a good book but he is covering all of making a knife or sword and so the heat treating chapter is only 4 pages.

• 2 months later...