I Forge Iron

A few miscellaneous tools

Well guys here are a few other tools I made this weekend. Two of them I have no clue what they are called so I call the first one an anvil ruler, also in the top right corner of the step you can see the pritchel hole I drilled out. My anvil lost its butt before I came across it and thus no hardy or pritchel. I use my vice as my hardy and tried it for the pritchel but the jaws are not level so the stock warps.IMG_3452.JPG

The next tool I call a long stock extension for my forge, its basically a 8mm round bar cut at the top and flattened to a T shape with lips on either side to keep the stock from rolling off and a tapered end to be able to drive it into the ground, It worked great on my Bolt head tong build as the 20mm bar was too long to balance in my forge.

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

And lastly a very simple (Not a tool) S hook, to be able to hang up my apron at the end of the day.

IMG_3464.JPG

The poles you see in the pic are the beginnings of my roof! YAY. Seeing as our rainy season is upon us I reckoned it would be a good investment.

What do you guys think? And if anyone could give me the proper names of those first two items I would really appreciate it.

With a forge like that you could mount a third hand to it by welding on a piece of square tubing that a piece of sq stock fits nicely in and then bend the end of the sq stock up and make a cross bar like the one you did.

A more traditionally method was to make a square C of round stock  with the open end hinged on the forge so it hangs down and with a round rod wrapped around the back side as a leg to hold it up when you pull it up to use. My old champion large forge has lugs cast into it to fit one of this type 

The beauty of this little guy is it is movable between my forge and anvil, If I need to make a bigger one in future I will use slightly thicker diameter bar. But your idea is a good one and I considered it before I made this one. I had seen the design you are talking about in a video on youtube a while back.