I Forge Iron

Three new bottle openers

These were part of a wedding present for two of my friends.  They had always particularly liked the bottle opener I had with me when we all lived in England, which was like the smaller one, and they frequently called openers 'church keys', hence the key.  All are linseed oil finished, and some of the first work I did after moving back to the States after a long time abroad.

SAM_19262_zps7871f643.jpg

The key was forged from a single piece, the bow was punced and drifted and the bit was cut with a large hacksaw.

SAM_19292_zps95a97fb0.jpg

Very nicely done Nick, the key is great. My pastor is retiring today and I was going to give him a slumped marble cross/bottle opener but thought better of it. A REAL church key on the other hand is perfect. I'll see him again, he's not going anywhere but fishing and funning.

Excellent.

Frosty The Lucky.

Excellent work :) i really like the key design and how it's all one piece.

One of my coworkers has something similar on his key ring except the opener is built into the actual key end which makes it work well as a key fob. Might be fun to make a matching lock and have it actually function :)

Oddly enough, I've been thinking of trying my hand at making a lock and key to secure the shop.  I'd love to hear more about how you forged that key!

What size stock did you start with?  Is the bit welded to the shaft?

Thanks, gents.  The key is now displayed in their kitchen.

Vaughn, it's all from a single piece of 5/8" square stock, though I think I'll do it out of flat stock next time.  I'd also like to make a swage with a slot to make the transition from bit to barrel easier to shape.  I'll take some photos of the process next time I make one.