I Forge Iron

My new 'swage' block

Curly

Each time I go back to the farm I grew up on I always have a good rummage around to see what scrap I can find and put to use. Normally I come away with bits of angle iron and so on. Well last visit I found this old tractor weight going spare and thought it would make the basis for a good freebie swage block.

Weighs around 80lbs and is 2-3inchs thick. Guessing its made from a cast steel?

As it is it has a couple of different size radii, 90 and 45 degree angle and the handle acts as a good former for bending metal. Will also be good for upsetting bars on.

Thinking of cutting some profiles along one of the sides and maybe forming a couple of different size dishes on the face. Although not sure what the best way of going about this would be? 

Anyway just thought I would share my new find!

All the best,

Tim

post-29379-0-50780700-1371852359_thumb.j

Without doubt it's cast iron; I've lifted any number of the things and dropped a couple too, both broke / chipped. I've no idea what the mix used for these is, but since they are only made to provide weight (not for working on) I doubt the one you have will stand much whacking; probably not a problem while forming hot metal over it, but a miss-hit could see damage done.

Well its taken a bit of a beating today upsetting bars for a fireplace companion set and seems to be holding up fine! Not going to be too worried if it does break but its only being used working small stock so Im sure it will be fine.