I Forge Iron

B & B Noyes & Co swage block

Mark  Emig

I just scored this block. It has B&B Noyes & Co greenfield Mass cast in the face. The really cool thing is the block is integral to the stand ( they are permanently fixed together-can't see any welds etc). When it gets used on edge, the feet on the stand are parallel to the edge of the block so it sits properly. The other cool thing is the swages for heading bolts.

post-1460-0-96659700-1367535905_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-00929600-1367536012_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-79650700-1367536104_thumb.jp

I'm getting a bit of a pile of them. Got a couple Yaters and some others.

This is %#@Q?D unfair!!!

There is a man around here who has an old-new swage block. He does not use it. He will not sell it. At any price. Now around here these things are very, very rare. And some guys have pyramids of them ... shocked I am.

Still, congrats on your find.

This is %#@Q?D unfair!!!

There is a man around here who has an old-new swage block. He does not use it. He will not sell it. At any price. Now around here these things are very, very rare. And some guys have pyramids of them ... shocked I am.

Still, congrats on your find.

I have 3 and I have sold a few over the years.  After a wile the tools just come and you start wondering do I really need 10 anvils and a side yard full of rusty stuff.

I do use my blocks-they are not decoration. My Yaters get used regularly. For decorative stuff, I like the Yaters more than the old industrial kind. Gotta admit, I do like the "cool " factor. I also have one of the New England Blacksmiths blocks. Not too big, but they are a useful too-reasonably priced also. If you're looking for a decent, not too costly block-get in touch with them.

My aplogies for your distress , Frosty :)     Yeah, it's a pretty sweet tool. Now I can make a swage block pyramid in the shop. I'm getting a bit of a pile of them. Got a couple Yaters and some others.

I only hope the guilt isn't too crushing Mark.

This is the kind of thing that makes me ALMOST wish I lived in the lower 48. Then I take a look out the living room window at Mt. Mckinley or one of the other mountain ranges and it's all good again.

Though I WILL have to go give my old swage block a hug.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Mark,

Nice block! I have an identical BB noyes block that is block only, if I remember right mine is either 18" or 20" square no stand and born that way. Noyes made a lot of industrial tools including a cone mandrel with tong groove, good quality castings. I've been barn picking trading and selling antique and old things since I was a little kid in New England and I have seen a few other sizes of Noyes blocks with the bolt header swages but they are scarce so a great find! If you want to see I could post a pic of mine. A few years ago at an auction I saw a few bolt header top swages but with two rings going I managed to miss 'em. In 50 years of picking I too have acquired and hung onto many industrial swage blocks, I use several but more for bending and upsetting I am not an artist I tend more to make tools, parts and repairs. I also use one to hold a stake anvil when I use it so they are still useful. I think that this summer I will bring a block to a demo I do for county fair and show folks how round and square stock was once made by hand we take a lot for granted these days!

I figured out how the block is attached to the stand. The underside of the block has a step in it-and it seems like the stand is shrunk fit into the block. There is no brazing/welding visible on it. And I will survive the crushing guilt somehow-but it may take a while. I may have to go tool shopping again to assuage my guilt :)

Hi Mark,

Nice block! I have an identical BB noyes block that is block only, if I remember right mine is either 18" or 20" square no stand and born that way. Noyes made a lot of industrial tools including a cone mandrel with tong groove, good quality castings. I've been barn picking trading and selling antique and old things since I was a little kid in New England and I have seen a few other sizes of Noyes blocks with the bolt header swages but they are scarce so a great find! If you want to see I could post a pic of mine. A few years ago at an auction I saw a few bolt header top swages but with two rings going I managed to miss 'em. In 50 years of picking I too have acquired and hung onto many industrial swage blocks, I use several but more for bending and upsetting I am not an artist I tend more to make tools, parts and repairs. I also use one to hold a stake anvil when I use it so they are still useful. I think that this summer I will bring a block to a demo I do for county fair and show folks how round and square stock was once made by hand we take a lot for granted these days!

Does your block have a step on the underside of it??

post-39154-0-55611800-1367690821_thumb.jpost-39154-0-59140000-1367690848_thumb.jpost-39154-0-27439900-1367690865_thumb.jHi Mark my block is smooth, but the plot thickens... My block is made by Wells Bros & Co Greenfield Mass I'll include some pics. It is identical to yours sans the raised area. I'll have to research the companies but it looks like the same pattern all holes are the same as are the outer swages, even the name is done the same. I haden't looked at this block in 6 or 7 years but recognized the pattern. I wonder if the company changed names or a pattern maker changed companies. Also in the same town was Wiley & Russell who made many blacksmith tools including the famous and rare two piece slotted cone mandrel. I found one of those mandrels a few years ago being used as a bird bath base and ended up buying it from the guy to return it to it's intended purpose. Well my block is 18" square 4" thick check out the pics. I also included a pic taken today of what 16" of snow looks like in MAy! We got hammered the other day with a blizzard.

I just did some research  and sure enough, Frederick and Frank Wells left Wiley & Russel in 1876 and formed their company. In 1912 the company was bought by Greenfield Tap & Die. About that time BB Noyes acquired anything not related to cutting tools but discontinued that type of manafacture by 1916 so I would guess that your block dates to that time frame. One way or another great block and stand.

• 3 years later...