I Forge Iron

I am finally back at work on my Fisher & Norris book.  I would like to survey the IFI community as to what size FISHER anvils you presently own, and their vintage(date on the base, if present).  I am trying to get an idea of what sizes are there, and to graph the results.  Please also include any special anvils and their sizes(sawmakers, farriers, chainmaker).  Thanks in advance.  I will add in my museum holdings to the count. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one from a Blacker, no date.  I was told it's 515# but might have to get a real weight for your book.  What is interesting is that it had a number punched on the side near the face that looks like a serial number and I saw another Blacker anvil that had the number but only off mine by *2*.  You might start collecting those numbers too.  *I* believe they were put there by the power hammer company.

Count me in!!!

I have a Fisher-marked anvil that's at least 29" OAL, with a 5.25" wide face plate.  Estimated weight is around 350#, though it could be lighter.   Date reads as 1882!

Can you imagine all the things she's seen???  

AnvilampStandassemblycomplete.jpg

I have a 300# Fisher 1945, military surplus, with lugs, wonderful anvil to work on. The guy I bought it from got in San Francisco off of a barge that was covered with Fishers for sale at prices that ranged fro $25 to $75 and he paid $50 for it. This was in the mid 1950s when he was in art school in the bay area.

i'm unsure of the date but it's about 175#, it has a "15" on the front foot , and a "3" under the tail. On the tail end, along the base are"LIII       I".

it also has lugs. I got it in NM/CO in the 1990's it looked brand new with black paint on the body and a clean face.

Good luck, Mike