I Forge Iron

Post Vise Spacer

Jim Coke

Greetings all,

Tired of looking for that just right spacer for your post vice .  I thought i would pass this on for the newbies and the pros .

I made these from some scrap I had from a parking meter..  You can make them easy from some 1/8 x 1 flat stock.. drill some 3/8 holes   Put a a 5/16 by 6in round bar through with key chain earrings...    It works slick ...   I put some of these in IRON IN THE HAT and the pros were fighting over them... go figure they are easy to make....

MOST OF THE TIME THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE IS THE BEST   ( comments welcome )

Jim

post-30666-0-22019700-1362454802_thumb.j

post-30666-0-67329400-1362454838_thumb.j

Greetings ML,

Nope no thanx yet...   I made that mistake years ago when I made a slick welders positioning jig.. Invested alot only to find all welders wanted to buy was the basic component....    True smiths make there own...  Go figure

Jim

I am totally new to smithing, so this is a stupid question. Why do you need a spacer?  Only guess I can make ( and it's a guess) is it is to not put as much stress on one end of your vice. Thanks Randy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings Yves,

Fun to make...  With your design you could not space for a 3/8 bar..  That's why I used all 1/8 spacers ..

I'm glad you could use my idea..  I will post more in the future..

Forge on  

Jim          Woops I looked again and you can..   sorry    duuuuhhh   1/4  =  1/8   make 3/8

He being in Metric land, is not likely to get 3/8 inch stock anyway :)

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings Doug,

I have had a lot of fun  with this tool...  I am so glad so many have been able to use my design..  Look up leg vise tool and see what my friend did with it..

Forge on and make beautiful things..

Jim

• 1 year later...