I Forge Iron

Burner mounting angle

setlab

I'm finally finishing up my forge and am to the point of welding in the brackets to hold the burners. I was about to weld my brackets in place at this angle but I figured I would ask you guys first, does this look like a good angle to hold the burners at? I've always read you want to angle your burners to avoid hot spots in the forge. The burner is mounted low just as a reference point in that picture and if anyone is interested that's a 6" steel rule to gauge the size.

post-5321-0-77744500-1360968243_thumb.jp

If you want to avoid uneven chamber temps you want the burner at a more tangential angle. having a hot spot and cooler general forge chamber temps has it's advantages too. Generally gas forges heat everything where solid fuel forges allow you to heat small areas. For example setting a rivet with a solid fuel forge you can heat almost only the rivet while using a gas forge everything in or even very near the forge will get hot.

So, it's pretty much up to you and what you want to do to decide what kind of forge chamber heat you produce.

The angle in your pic however presents one problem. The burner is aimed directly into a corner, the flame will be directed back at the burner producing unnecessary back pressure. Back pressure isn't a good thing, especially if you're running a naturally aspirated burner, it can cause it to sputter or otherwise be unstable, at the very least it won't produce as much heat as it should.

Being a "mailbox" shaped chamber I'd flatten the angle so the flame hit the vertical wall and then turned onto the floor, this will keep the flame front moving the same direction as the burner is aimed. It's another back pressure thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

You could also go the other direction and aim it more towards the floor.  This would give you more of a hot spot where is hitting the floor, but the flame would also bounce off and circulate around the rounded top of the chamber.  I position my work in that "hot spot" directly under the flame quite a bit because I can get a more localized higher heat in that area.