I Forge Iron

Dave and Chase Making Hammers and Hot-Cuts!

Hey yall,

A friend of mine came over to the shop today to help me move some equipment in my shop, and when we were done, my fiend was looking at some of the hammer heads that Dave and I had forged, and he came up with a handle design. He drew a pattern on a piece of cardboard, and he made a very nice handle, at least I think so.

SANY0441_zps038dfb7d.jpg

I'm not sure how well it would work in a rounding hammer, but i know it would make a awesome hatchet or claw hammer handle. What do yall think?

I think it looks good.  I've been making mine asymmetrical so my hand "know" which side is down.  Same for any double-bitted tool head. 

By the by fellers, mine showed up last week & a forced myself to use it over the weekend.  That dude moves metal great.  It now has a place of honor at my living room station. Thanks very much!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I like the hammers that have a shallower necking between the eye and face.  This makes for less torque in the hand when you're not hitting with in line with centre of mass.  The shorter length of the head that is.  Less twisting of the handle when hitting off-square to use different dies.  (See the "why the rounding hammer video"...he is forging copper in the video)

cheers folks.