I Forge Iron

Dave and Chase Making Hammers and Hot-Cuts!

Hi there all Dave Custer AKA "Fiery Furnace" here with Chase Saxton AKA "Trip." 

So Chase had this idea to forge some Brian Brazeal style rounding hammers. He came over yesterday and is planning on staying thru Friday. We are using 2-inch solid 4140 in billet sizes 3.5-inch, 4-inch, and 4.5-inch! 

He's got all the pictures so far, so he'll be posting the pictures and such. Just wanted to let you all know we are working together on this project. 

OK Trip Here, a while back I came over to Dave's shop and we forged out his striking anvil, and then a Brian Brazeal style rounding hammer for myself, as was seen in my video, "Heavy Forging". Not long after that (as Dave just said) I had the idea to make some more. So yesterday I left my house around daylight, and was able to get to Dave's house by about 8:00 in the mornin.

We finally got started forging by around 9:00, and within a hour and a half we had a new hammer. All in all it took us about 4.5 hours to forge 2 hammers, completely forged a hot cut hardy (I directed it, and Dave struck), and we got a good start on a second hot cut. So all in all it was a good day's work, but I will admit that my hands are a little sore this mornin, since I haven't done ANY forging in about a month.

Enough talk, I'm sure yall want to see some photo's,

post-23014-0-15230800-1358949471_thumb.j  post-23014-0-70306600-1358949679_thumb.j

We will keep you all updated on our progress throughout the week.

post-23014-0-08773100-1358949844_thumb.j

Hi Alec! Never really understood what the larger beveled edge does for you. Maybe you could elaborate?

The one from the pictures is a smaller billet, that we used. We used a smaller rounded edge on that size, but I did make sure the larger billets got bevelled more, however, I suppose billet size would not affect whatever positives come from the rounded edge. I must have forgotten, so like I said, please elaborate!

We worked from 8:30 A.M to 12:30 P.M. and made two hammers.

Here are the hammers so far!

DSC09295.jpg

Here are the two we made this morning.

DSC09296.jpg

Here are the two from yesterday!

DSC09297.jpg

And here is the hardy that Chase directed yesterday evening. I was very pleased with the results especially seeing that was his first time on the director's side of the anvil.

DSC09298.jpg

I'm keeping data on billet size, starting weight, weight after rough grinding, and weight after finish grinding. I will post said data when we are done making hammers!

Here are the four hammers we have done so far.

DSC09299.jpg

DSC09304.jpg

DSC09305.jpg

DSC09306.jpg

DSC09307.jpg

We did not make any hammers today as we spent the entire morning loading and unloading around 3000-pounds of coal. We hardened and tempered the four hammers shown in the pictures above, this evening. I also cut out some additional knot-free handle stock for the hammers.

Tomorrow we are hoping to do another two hammers before Chase has to head back home.

Chase will be posting photos of the grinding and tempering a little later.

Here are the weights finally.

2-inch solid round 4140 stock, cut in billet lengths of 3.5-inches, 4-inches, and 4.5-inches.

3.5-inch billet yielded a 2-pound 13-ounce hammer. (45-ounce)

4-inch billet yielded a 3-pound 4 ounce hammer. (52 ounce)

4.5-inch billet yielded a 3-pound 9-ounce hammer. 57-ounce)

I have not compared finish weights with the starting weights but my data showed that from the starting billet size to the finished hammer, prior to rough grinding, hardening, tempering, and polishing, the weight loss per-hammer was .25-pounds. This number stayed consistent regardless of the starting billet size.

Post number 1,501 for me! LOL

We finished two more hammers today before Chase left. Not too bad seeing that out of four days, we only spent about two and half of it forging. We spent a half a day at the steel yard and a day hauling coal!

I handled one to show Chase how to, then sent him home with the box of handles, hammers, and wedges. He will finish polish and handle the rest. The tags give the finished weight of the hammer prior to handling!

DSC09310.jpg

DSC09309.jpg

Hey thanks for all of the complements! We sure did enjoy making all of these little toys, and I am pleased with the results and time. Chase's striking habits GREATLY increased as he swung the 13.25-pound sledge for the entirety of the operation.

This thread is not for, and IFI does not allow advertising of items for sale. This thread is simply to show the progress of two young smiths working as a director striker team, making hammers for four days. Chase is currently working on video editing the footage he took, and will post a video of our work when he's finished.

Great job, guys!

The grinding of the edges makes the faces be forged much easier! Also means they don't flare out! Makes the grinding after much easier too! :D

LOoks like a productive couple of days :D

Btw, Dave!
Take Brian's offer in good spirit!
It is clear you are not using this forum as advertisement... Brian just wants that hammer ;)
Happy forging, Buddy!
Send me an email soon!

Alec

I certainly do take Brian's post as a complement!!!

I hope that my reply was not misunderstood to be negative! Anyway, I just wanted to make sure the mods are aware that I will follow the forum rules under any conditions.

As a student, it's an awesome feeling that one of my instructors would want to buy a piece that I made (with Chase's help,) that he taught me how to make.

Hmmm Alec! I kind of liked the flare! Especially in those 2-inch x 3.5-inch billets. You need to try one of those sometime! They are neat.

Speaking of grinding, I need to get a good belt grinder. I used my dad's belt sander but it is designed for wood, not steel.

Dave,

Daniel also gives me an earful if I do not grind the bevel on the edges of the billets well enough before we start forging. I used to disagree with him but it does seem to make it more of a forge to finish product if the billet is thusly prepared before commencing forging.  Just seems quicker and easier....I am not sure how much; but worthwhile! It also seems to forge "differently", and tends to "center" the billet in the cupping die such that it is less easily deformed when struck at an unattended angle......I know this is too fussy to seem to matter....but?  Cheers my friend.

Hey yall,

A friend of mine came over to the shop today to help me move some equipment in my shop, and when we were done, my fiend was looking at some of the hammer heads that Dave and I had forged, and he came up with a handle design. He drew a pattern on a piece of cardboard, and he made a very nice handle, at least I think so.

SANY0441_zps038dfb7d.jpg

I'm not sure how well it would work in a rounding hammer, but i know it would make a awesome hatchet or claw hammer handle. What do yall think?