I Forge Iron

AISI 4140 Structure after Quenching

for some bundle we quenched in water and oil, the structure has ferrite with martensite and bainite.
austenitizing temp. 860C
Holding time: 60 min
Dipping time:300 seconds
moving time: 100seconds
has anyone knowledge about existence of ferrite in quench microstructure?

a few things can effect the results, such as dimentions, because thinner cross sections will cool faster than thicker, also rate of quench was not stated,   not aware of many water and oil quenches, how do you keep the oil suspended, and what is its quench rate compared to water or a fast straight oil?

• 2 weeks later...

a few things can effect the results, such as dimentions, because thinner cross sections will cool faster than thicker, also rate of quench was not stated,   not aware of many water and oil quenches, how do you keep the oil suspended, and what is its quench rate compared to water or a fast straight oil?

thanks for your pay attention, what's the meaning of "how do you keep the oil suspendedhow do you keep the oil suspended" , really i can't realize the meaning of suspended for oil.

the quench rate of oil is good, beacause in some products of AISI 4337 , we have quenching cracks.

what's the meaning of "how do you keep the oil suspended"

I believe what Steve is referring to is the fact that oil and water doesn't mix, chemically/physically, unlike,say, salt and water.  The salt dissolves in water, oil will not.  The best you can do is stir the oil and water rapidly enough to break the puddle of oil into many tiny drops that are "suspended" in the water, not truly dissolved.  As time passes, the oil, being less dense will form into a puddle again on the top and separate, whereas the only way to remove salt, once dissolved (a solution) is to evaporate the water.  

So...if you're quenching liquid is a mix of oil and water, the question remains, "how do you make sure you have a uniform solution for a uniform quench?"

the quench rate of oil is good, beacause in some products of AISI 4337 , we have quenching cracks.

I believe that what Steve is referring to here is the actual rate of cooling for the liquid (degrees of temperature change over time) you are using so that you can compare to cooling rate curve of your specific alloy to determine the percent martensite, bainite, etc.  Here's a great reference that should explain this more thouroughly(sp?). 

http://www.dfoggknives.com/PDF/Houghton_On_Quenching.pdf

• 4 months later...