I Forge Iron

Neighbors and noise

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! - And I adjusted my operation so it did not bother him. It is a matter of respect!

I suggest that we always put yourself in their shoes. 

It is up to you to so order your operation so it will not disrespect your neighbor's lives.

Just as it would be if it was your neighbor disturbing your peace!

I had a very sick neighbor at one time, and took no chance of disrupting his needed rest!

I feel it is important to be a good neighbor.

I believe that sometimes, your situation may demand that you find another location to do

your forging.  Or that YOU take measures to soundproof your forge area and deaden the sound of

your anvil if that is an issue.

A person can choose to be a part of the problem, or choose to be a part of the cure.

I also suggest that you get your neighbor involved and invite your neighbor over and let him do some forging. 

That approach has worked wonders many times to change attitudes!

With his input, try different things out to reduce the sound and ask your neighbor if it is working OK?

Best of Forging to you!

Not becuase of the noise, but rather the smoke. I had a particularly poor day at the forge, and stupidly put a bunch of green coal on the fire at one time. It just so happened that the wind was blowing TOWARDS his house that day.... Oh well. I took it easy that day and made sure to make my fire correctly in the future. Now I only sometimes have plumes of sulfur coming up. Usually I can avoid it, but if I'm careless, then the sun is blocked by my sulfur plumes!

I can bed it down if that will do the trick As much as he burns the smoke doesn't bother me  There is no chance of him coming towards my house HATE is a term used in our "relationship" 2 mile dirt road and only 2 houses 200 yards apart and we aren't neighborly in the slightest bit...

I down loaded a desibul meter for my phone. Hammering on an anvil is about 80 dbi. One thing that I found to help quiet you anvil is caulk between the anvil and the stand. I just mounted my anvil to a metal stand with straps and bolts and it tool all the ring out of it. Gobae is right the dogs benind my house make more noise than I do even running the power hammer

Muck you have a situation ..for wot ever reason..that is going to be a nightmare for both of you. Look inwards and see if youi can find a solution. Wot can youi change to solve this? and how would you expect the neighbor to solve this? Look ack to how it started and how it can resolve. Then you can deal with the current forging issue.

I'm on top of a hill, in the woods, with a half-mile of private drive.

Can't even SEE a neighbor.

It's a costly location, with a lot of grounds and driveway maintenance, ... and a God-awful tax Liability, ... but the privacy is worth every penny .....

I'm curious about the advice regarding a chain wrapped around the base of the Anvil.

I've often seen that done, but assumed it was to add weight.

Does it actually work ?

I'm curious about the advice regarding a chain wrapped around the base of the Anvil. Does it actually work ?

Depends on the anvil, and what's actually reverberating. It didn't do much for mine (a PW), while placing a magnet under the tail did wonders.

I have used chain around the anvil and it does work on my Peter Wright and on a Hey-Budden. Magnets had not effect except to make the anvil fuzzy from attracting scale and small pieces of metal.  I did have some success with a carriage bolt and a couple of finder washers in the prichel hole.

Anything to dampen the vibration of the tuning fork effect of the anvil will also dampen the noise.

I've had an on-going problem with my next door neighbor even tho we live in the country. When she moved in and I initially asked her if my blacksmithing was a problem she said "no - of course not". Then I applied for a business license and the trouble started. She tried to start a big campaign to try to stop my license from being granted by the village. Its not just my pounding that bothered her, it was everything I did including using my leaf blower, she complained about that too.

All of the other neighbors thought she was being petty and testified on my behalf at the license hearing. It was a very unusual hearing since there were many folks speaking on my behalf and only her and her poor husband in opposition. Now she is sort of the outcast of the area and her reputation is known throughout the village.

The license was granted and we have been living in a kind awkward relationship. Her poor husband disagrees with her (and was embarrassed over the whole deal.) However, I always try to be conscientious about noise and try to limit my activity to periods when she won't be bothered, to the extent I can.  He texts or emails me every day about when she is going out or is inside and won't hear me. In all honestly he probably has a much worse time living with her then I do. 

Recommended reading is a fairly new book entitled The Sociopath Next Door.  If by chance you should ever read it the case study of Tillie is similar what I'm living with. Tillie isn't my neighbor by the way only acts enough like her to be her twin.

Chain helps quiet my Trenton considerably.  Fastening it down tight to the stump helps quiet my Trenton considerably.

Having a close fitting bolt dropped into the pritchel hole can also reduce ringing considerably.

Getting an obstruction between the forge and the neighbor is another way.  My neighbor doesn't believe how much 3 little pine trees quiet my noise down. 

Happily I have a good relationationship with most of my neighbors.

Phil

Yeah i believ it will be a problem I have already had to let my Bluetick stay at a buddies house cause he bawled once or twice whenever I came home during the daytime. If I owned this place i would tell him to leave me alone....But since I am getting to live here free of charge I have to make him and my landowner happy

Dear All,

I have found that often times the logical, rational person expects the neighbor to interact in a rational, logical manner.  Unfortunately, some people just don't have it in them to be rational and logical.  I've occasionally seen neighbor problems get worked out over a cup of coffee but more often there is a problem with one person either the person doing the offensive activity or the offended person which defies logic.  Some people are, frankly, functionally mentally ill.  I'm afraid that there isn't much to do there except to accept the fact that the person isn't rational.

I'd suggest that Muck offer an olive branch, maybe through a 3d party or in a written letter.  If it doesn't work he's no worse off than now and he has claimed the moral high ground.

Because I live and forge in town one of the reasons I burn coke instead of coal is to minimize the smoke and odor signature.

If the situation becomes intolerable talk to an attorney.  There can be a legal remedy in some situations.  It is a last resort but sometimes there are no other resorts remaining.

Finally, document as much as you can.  Keep a log of what days and times you are forging.  I've seen that work pretty well when a person complained of noise (not blacksmithing) and the accused party was able to document that they were out of town on that day.  It made for a funnier than usual day in the courtroom.  I have seldom seen a person actually sputter.

Rationally,

George M.

My biggest problem is my neighbor wants to buy the land I live on. The landowner doesn't want to sell it I'm kinda caught up with the mess. My landowner doesn't want him calling aggravating him all the time and my neighbor thinks the more he calls I will have to move (then he can be alone like he has been for years out here) and or he can pester the landowner long enough he will just sell the land. The decision has been made the place isn't getting sold but the landowner does need access to the rear behind the pond to timber this access must go on neighbors land thefore he wants civil peace with him. I will do everything I can to keep it quiet (Free Rent on 200 acres with a cabin on a fish pond helps) hopefully I can just work when he isn't there or keep my future anvil quiet. The neighbor being a retired homebody I have my work cut out for me lol

200 acres? Could you put your shop on the opposite side of your cabin, maybe even a short (hundred yard) walk away? I would think that would lessen the noise significantly.

Edit: At least lessen the amount that reaches your neighbor's ears.

Working HOT metal in a PH or on an anvil works best to keep the noise down.......But seriously Does your ''neighbor'' never mow his lawn or some such? Nobody bangs/hammers continuously and with 200 yds of space I think he's nitpicking......There are totally people who you just can't please no matter what you do or don't do......You have your rights as well....... ;)

One day when you catch him peeking through the window at you... act like you don't see him and;

pace frantically back in forth for 5 min...

Stop pacing, then act like you're arguing with a rock for 3 min...

stop, pick up the rock, hold it like a baby and skip around like you're tip toeing through the tulips...

keep an eye on him, and make sure he doesn't grab a camera...

Then go on you way, as if nothing ever happened. When your landlord asks you about it the next day, look and sound perplexed, deny everything, giggle, and ask if he's being serious (at least 3 times)...

This accomplishes 2 things; Your neighbor is now a crazy person fabricating fantastically unbelievable stories, and he's probably gonna avoid you like the plague... nothing like living in the rural countryside with Cpt. Looney Tune next door...

and yes. I've done this with great success...

My neighbor is my landlord, but we're both gun enthusiasts and more often than not are shredding a barrel full of sand with the various assault weapons at our disposal. No one messes with either of us, and he's 80% deaf any way, so I'm pretty clear to pound away at my anvil at any time.

EDIT: Plus I live out in the country. Loud noises are expected.