I Forge Iron

Tempering

More likely you are using a steel too low in carbon. W1 tool steel works well as does old files. You need about 1% C to make a good spark. I don't even temper the strikers I make but if you feel you must, do not temper past a golden brown. This is about 400F.

I'm with QC.

I recycle files for my firesteels, and I use a water quench, no temper.

I only quench the striking edge, and kinda move it up and down a little in the water... I think this helps avoid cracking. I hold the edge in the water until the body of the striker is reasonably cool.

After hardening, be absolutely sure you sand or grind the striking edge 'til it's shiney. The scale & decarb layer will kill your spark.

Don

Another good high carbon junkyard steel is garage door springs, check with a garage door installer he will have a pile of old ones behind his shop. heat it in the forge and place the spring over a pipe in the vise and you can roll it off in 10' lengths, there is as much as 70' of rod in each spring.

Garage door springs work well. My favortie steel is used chain saw files. Used to sharpen hardened teeth they do not last a long timeand the folkls that use them toss them out. You might check the ads for firewood in the paper and call and see if the have a pile of old files. Not a good time of year here for that but it may work where you are.