I Forge Iron

Just finished this one up!

metal99

Hey guys, finally getting some more work done at my kitchen table knife shop :)
I just finished the sheath for this one today.

This is my 4th knife and 3rd shieth.

O1 tool steel
Cocobolo scales
Black liners
Real silver spacers between black spacers
Mosaic pins
Damascus bolsters
There are 21 pieces in this handle.
I hand made the shieth.

Take a look and let me know what you think!

D18AD23B-1923-4B29-9ADD-2F919DC58140-751

3ADBF4BB-B6C3-46C6-A8D5-8B1F4566271B-751

519B7BD6-33A7-4D53-A29C-040C8AE381F9-751

29247AEA-B66D-4185-8D7B-842B56502F22-751

1748FC30-6D5F-44C0-8987-9DECD99C37C0-751

Thanks everyone.

Nespor, I did this one by stock removal but I used my champoin rivet forge to heat treat it. I didn't make the damascus for the bolsters. Hope you guys don't mind that it wasn't actually forged.

I am working on a couple forged blades and I am going to try my hand at some small damascus billets this spring. Mainly for guards and pomels. I don't have a really big anvil so forge welding a big billet and drawing it out is going to be way to hard.

From my limited personal experiance, I my advise that you do not let your small anvils face size stop you from maiking a billet for knives, Please do not sell yourself short

FYI my normal working hammer is larger than most being 4.6#, but still is about 2 in square face, so that is all that is getting hit at one time. 2 sq in each side at time time, Big is nice, but not needed.

Hmm I have a 98# Trenton and any size hammer I want so maybe I will try out a larger billet. I have three forges all coal and different sizes so the heat shouldn't be a problem. I just assumed anything "large" should be done on "large" tools lol.

Thanks again for the kind replies everyone.

Mark, this one was sold the day I drew it on paper. My friend is giving it to his dad for Christmas. It will have a new home in Newfoundland. I can't believe how fast this is happening. I only dreamt about being able to sell my knives. I have thirteen more ordered and five on the go they are all sold.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks you guys, it means a lot to me. I have 16 more ordered so I will be a busy man for a while. I can't wait for spring to get here so I can fire up the forge again! In the future I want to forge all of my knives so next summer I am going to forge a bunch of blades and finish thin during the winter.

Do you guys know if heat treating outside in the winter would be a major problem? I have a bunch of blades made from 1084 that I need to heat treat.

• 3 weeks later...