I Forge Iron

Forging Aluminum?

Soft aluminum not the T-6 or other hard kinds can indeed be forged with forge and anvil. IUse common precautions such as not breathing either fumes from forging or from the forge. You have to play a bit to find the right temp to forge. Try this in a gasser put the piece in and count to 15 take it out and rub a hickory hammer handle on it..if it does not leave a mark go back in for ten count. If at any time the hammer handle leaves a dark browm mark really fast stop and let it cool. coutn to 20 and try the wood again should be a nice brown mark but not dark...then forge away..You can froge for quite a whiel before you need another heat for next heat put piece in and count to 10 check with handle etc.....have fun

Forging aluminum is very common in industry, and occasionally done by artist/blacksmiths. I have only played with it once in the forge, but it wasn't a big deal. Like everything else, you have to learn your material.

Some links for this topic:

http://www.artmetal.com/brambush/forum/bramyak2/messages/374.html
Aluminum Chart
Aluminum forgings from Scot Forge
Forging non-ferrous metals
Forging of Aluminum Alloys
Wendell August Forge's hand-hammered aluminum carries on 77-year tradition

• 8 years later...

There are three types of forging: open die forging, closed forging, and ring rolled forging. Open die forging is applicable for large aluminum components. They are only limited by size of aluminum. I have heard about many companies which are applicable for this procedure like CHW Forge, Bharat, forging and London and much more. They will help you to cut the aluminum from various procedures.