I Forge Iron

Fisher Anvil - help identifying

Hi All,

I'm a knifemaker (ABS Journeyman Smith), and I just joined the forum here. I'm setting up a brand new work shop, and I just picked up a Fisher anvil (in terrific condition) from a friend. There are several marks on it that don't mean anything obvious (to me), so I thought I'd throw some photos up on here and see whether anybody out there can tell me anything about my anvil.

As you can see, "FISHER" is clearly marked on the front of the right foot, and the eagle crest is quite clear. On top of the right foot there is a "70," which I'm guessing is a reference to the weight. Below the arch, on the back side of the anvil, I see 1940, which is presumably when this anvil was made. There are a couple of other marks that I can't decipher. See the photos below--photos and graphite rubbings--any insight will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Zack

post-28155-0-44841900-1350927546_thumb.j

post-28155-0-20330900-1350927557_thumb.j

post-28155-0-73299000-1350927580_thumb.j

post-28155-0-76832100-1350927589_thumb.j

post-28155-0-94150000-1350927595_thumb.j

post-28155-0-78318600-1350927605_thumb.j

post-28155-0-36614700-1350927615_thumb.j

post-28155-0-52748900-1350927634_thumb.j

post-28155-0-11222000-1350927639_thumb.j

A few answers:

1940 = the year cast

The eagle holding an anchor = logo used by Fisher at the time

10 on the leg = 100 lbs. This can be confirmed by weighing it. Usually accuate to =/- 5 lbs. I don't think it is a 7(0). Looks like a 10 to me.

L111 = Foundry marks by the moldmakers that I am still trying make sense of

S = ??Where is this on the anvil? Probably also just a foundry mark, maybe the moldmaker.

Any other questions, just ask.

Wow, thanks, great info! The S is located to the right of the bolt lug underneath the back (called the "arch?") of the anvil. The L111 is on the other side of the bolt lug. Both can be seen in the picture (fourth from the left) above. I'm not convinced that it says "L111." The beginning of that set of characters (which you're reading as "L1") are definitely connected, there is no gap--so I think it's just one character. Possibly "U11," but it's very square. Further, there's a small vertical line an inch and a half (give or take) to the right of it. All of the symbols on this end of the anvil are standing in relief, whereas the "FISHER" is stamped in. All of the symbols on this end are also slightly tilted (low left to high right). Anyway, very interesting.

Lastly--and I"m sure you expected this question--any idea what an anvil of this vintage is worth?

Thanks!

Zack

I have many Fishers with the same Llll markings. That and the S are marks used by the moldmakers to indicate a batch #, or sequence #, or moldmaker.

I do not price anvils. Lets just say that if you are buying, you want it as cheap as possible, the opposite if you are a seller. That being said, it is a nice anvil in nice shape. If you want to see what others will pay for it, put it on EBAY with a super high reserve and see where the bidding goes. A relatively cheap way to get a value, just make the reserve high enough that it will not sell.

Fair enough. I've been looking around on Craigslist for about a year, and from what I can tell, I got a great deal on it. The anvil might as well be as good as new. Not quite so shiny as it probably was 72 years ago, but the face is flat, and the edges are clean. There are no cracks or pits anywhere on the anvil. And I got it for much less than I'd pay for a new anvil twenty-five pounds lighter. So I'm happy--and I'm not looking to get rid of it--just curious. Anyhoo, thanks for all your input.

Zack