22 replies to this topic

#1 stuarthesmith

stuarthesmith

Professional Blacksmith

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
  • LocationMontrose, PA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have had leg vises that I bought at flea markets which had either the threads stripped, or the threaded part of the vise that recieves the threaded bar stripped out. Acme right handed threaded bar is generally very expensive, especially the larger diameters, like inch and a quarter, which I have used to repair vises. If you price McMaster Carr Acme threaded bars that diameter, you will see that they are extremely expensive. I am posting a link to a mail order house that a friend gave to me, in which both the threaded bar and the nuts are both way less expensive than other company. As you can see, they sell this acme allthread in three foot lengths, which is enough to repair about three vises. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM My friend tells me that they give good customer service and delivery times are reasonable. This works out to about 45 dollars each to repair the vises, if nothing else is wrong with them. If you look at the bottom of the list, if you opt for mild steel threads, a three foot length only costs thirty bucks, which works out to ten dollars per vise. I recommend buying the better threaded bar.
when faced with a doubting thomas, whip out a digital camera! http://snakecreekforge.weebly.com/

#2 WmHorus

WmHorus

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationAshford, Wa

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Realistically couldnt we make our own bar if you have the threading equipment?

www.facebook.com/stormking.mountainforge

#3 stuarthesmith

stuarthesmith

Professional Blacksmith

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
  • LocationMontrose, PA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

of course, Paul!
when faced with a doubting thomas, whip out a digital camera! http://snakecreekforge.weebly.com/

#4 ianinsa

ianinsa

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationAt the Castle, Kyalami,JHB. South Africa

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

The rub here is the cost ot that equipment and/or the operator thereof! :unsure:
Noboby forgets where they buried the hatchet!

Fools wander and wise men travel.

#5 Timothy Miller

Timothy Miller

Some guy who hammers and files iron for money

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • LocationBayport NY

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Just remember most leg vises have 2 or 3 threads on their screw. Twice the thread count on the screw is twice the turning of the handle. my 6" is 2 threads per inch at 1 3/4". The best enco can do is 1.5 at 4 threads per inch at $127 for 3 feet plus the nut $12.70 plus shipping. Your a quater of the way to a small used lathe. Or you could just buy a nice working vise for that money.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."  Henry Ford

#6 stuarthesmith

stuarthesmith

Professional Blacksmith

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
  • LocationMontrose, PA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

or, I could fix some old vises this way, timothy............in my opinion, the prices of vises are going to skyrocket, they are currently underpriced for what you are getting

#7 Timothy Miller

Timothy Miller

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • LocationBayport NY

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

or, I could fix some old vises this way, timothy............in my opinion, the prices of vises are going to skyrocket, they are currently underpriced for what you are getting

You are right they are currently under priced.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."  Henry Ford

#8 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

Senior Moment Member; Master Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 17,151 posts
  • LocationCentral NM/El Paso TX Area, USA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

They have already doubled since I started buying them (based on the "common price for a 4" vise in working condition the last day at Quad-State)
Thomas Psychotic Psychobabblonian Powers

#9 njanvilman

njanvilman

FISHER anvil man

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

There were many vises at Quad States this year that went unsold. Almost every stand had several, and I saw very few being carried away. And the prices were reasonable for most. I guess that most of the people there already had their own vises, and the prices were just high enough to preclude buying for resale. Unless one is speculating of "ViseFutures".

NJ Anvilman, Fisher & Norris Museum

"Home of the Fisher artifacts, patterns, and complete line of all standard sizes of Fisher anvils and vises", plus lots more!"

Facebook:  Fisher & Norris Factory Museum Page

#10 David Gaddis

David Gaddis

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • LocationForest, Mississippi

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

And what would be the approx. street vendor price for a 4" vise. Just a good general price will do. Down herre in the South the cost for smithing equiptment varies reatly, but availability is always very few.

Carry on
Any blacksmith looking into a septic tank will see there is more than liquid engineering going on!

#11 matto

matto

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Locationkearney nebraska

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

you can get a 24" piece of acme rod with a nut from menards or a scaffold renting place. menards has the scaffold jacks at $18.
i just picked up 6' of 1"-5 acme rod and 6 1"-5 nuts from fastenal for $75.

#12 John McPherson

John McPherson

Grumpy Old Guy

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Wholesale Tool also carries acme threaded rod and nuts at reasonable prices. $25 minimum order, and several outlets nationwide. 1-5 rod about $6 a foot in 3' or 6' lengths, nuts about $7 each.

http://www.wttool.com
Donut-dunking, no-neck, knuckle-dragging, anti-social(media) Neanderthal.

#13 r smith

r smith

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

And what would be the approx. street vendor price for a 4" vise. Just a good general price will do. Down herre in the South the cost for smithing equiptment varies reatly, but availability is always very few.

Carry on

West coast average $100.

#14 Frozenforge

Frozenforge

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationPeters Creek Alaska

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

They seem to start at $200 and up to $600 for a 4" in Alaska when you come across one for sale

#15 stuarthesmith

stuarthesmith

Professional Blacksmith

• Members
  • 2,584 posts
  • LocationMontrose, PA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

There were many vises at Quad States this year that went unsold. Almost every stand had several, and I saw very few being carried away. And the prices were reasonable for most. I guess that most of the people there already had their own vises, and the prices were just high enough to preclude buying for resale. Unless one is speculating of "ViseFutures".

While I am not a speculator on blacksmith vises, I am a realist. Long-range, because of the foreign market, the rise in prices for these tools is inevitable. Any chance I get to buy a working vise, for under fifty bucks, I jump on it with the quickness. I have sold a bunch of them on this forum to newbies at a reasonable price. I have recently noticed that the "big boys", six inches and up, are burgeoning in price. The rise of smaller ones is inevitable.............thanks partly to US. By our participation on this forum, the number of members, and neophytes to blacksmithing, is increasing dramatically. The upshot of that is demand for vises.....

#16 Timothy Miller

Timothy Miller

• Members
  • 1,990 posts
  • LocationBayport NY

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

you can get a 24" piece of acme rod with a nut from menards or a scaffold renting place. menards has the scaffold jacks at $18.
i just picked up 6' of 1"-5 acme rod and 6 1"-5 nuts from fastenal for $75.

5 threads per inch is kind of slow for a vise ment to quickly grip hot steel. I have only once paid more than 100 bucks for a leg vise. I own 9 currently. If you are doing repetive work in a vise all that turning gets old real fast. .

#17 matto

matto

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Locationkearney nebraska

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

I have 14 and have only had to fix one screw and screw box. Is it not better to fix a vise with what you have or can find to work for the fix than not to fix it and use it. Yes you can wait to find one that does not need repaired, but if it takes a year to find one, or they are far and few between, still makes sence to take a couple of hours to fix the one that needs fixing. You can always resell it or hang it on the wall when a better one comes along. Plus you get the satisfaction of doing the repair.

#18 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

Senior Moment Member; Master Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 17,151 posts
  • LocationCentral NM/El Paso TX Area, USA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Back in the late 90's the price of a 4" in using condition the last day of Quad-State seemed to be around US$40. At the same time I was finding them in Ohio on a regular basis for $20 - $25.

A couple of years ago I was at Quad-State and it seemed that the common last day price was $75; so I bought 2 when I found good deals ($50 for a 6" vise and $20 for a 3" very old vise)

I've tried to never had more than 10 vises at a time passing on others when I reach my limit. I also think that every upright in the pole barn shop should have a vise and most work benches should have *2*. Both large and small vises should be near every forge.

I tell new students that a good postvise is more important than a fancy anvil---especially for bladesmithing.
Thomas Psychotic Psychobabblonian Powers

#19 Judson Yaggy

Judson Yaggy

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationBristol, Vermont, USA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

They seem to start at $200 and up to $600 for a 4" in Alaska when you come across one for sale

I need to drive a truck load of vises up to Alaska!

#20 VaughnT

VaughnT

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • LocationNorthwest SC

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Guy on the 'bay has a good-looking set of parts for bid. Don't know how high it will go, but could be worth a look if you're needing a rebuild kit.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a2455d7c3
When reason fails.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users