I Forge Iron

Stand or base for gas forge?

HandsomeRyan

Well after second-guessing myself for a half hour this morning on what height to build the stand for my forge I remembered a jack I had laying around from one of my old Toyota trucks.

I did a little drawing and decided to follow Frosty's advise on keeping things simple :).

After 12 hours of non-stop cutting, welding, and occasional cussing........the beast is born. The stand allows me to vary the forge opening height between 40" - 50" high with a simple crank of the handle. It also allows the table to pivot so I can easily change to direction my forge faces.

The best part is I was able to build it entirely with metal from my scrap pile. The legs are 1-1/2" x 0.120" wall DOM, the center yoke is 1-3/4" x 0.120" wall DOM, the table top is 16 ga. sheet metal with 1-1/2" x 1/8" angle frame. The jack mounting shelf is 1/4" plate with 3/4" x 1/2" rectangle stock supports underneath. Legs are set at 77 degrees. Mounting feet are 1/4" plate with 3/8" anchor holes.

As soon as the forge gets here I'll drill the two mounting holes to bolt the forge to the table top. The stand is really stable, but I went ahead and drilled holes in the feet, just in case I decide to drop some anchor bolts in the concrete slab down the road.

forgestand1.jpg

forgestand2.jpg

forgestand4.jpg

forgestand3.jpg