I Forge Iron

Shiny Hammer

Sam Salvati

I personally prefer forged to finish, not ground to finish.
Grinding and polishing are an art that take a long time to truly master. Traditionally bright finished tools were more expensive and valued than forged finished. Times change and tastes change. Knowing Sam it was a nicely finished forging to begin with.

Thanks everyone! Larry, fugeddaboutit I get what you are sayin.

I personally prefer forged to finish, not ground to finish.

I personally prefer to vary everything I do :D I agree though, I like your forged finish hammers Brian (and do want one terribly), I like to forge finish also have you seen my knives? I respect forge finish more, I think it takes much more skill. the grinding and polishing on this was an easy sort of fun thing to do. I don't think grinding and polishing take all that long, nor are really hard to do at all, it's easy when you can sit and think about what to do next, then just grind away, filework even more so an easy and simple task.

Nampa heck yeah! I don't really do repousse I find it kind of boring, but leafing yes! that's what this hammer's for!

I agree with timothy. After forging, tools should be ground and polished to a high luster.

To play devil's advocate, though, if it ends up looking virtually indistinguishable from something a machine would have made, then why not let the machine make it?

Thanks guys!!!! I will track down some nice curly maple for the handle and shine and stain it up nicely!

I agree, any chimp with a grinder can make something shiny and look like every hardware store special LOL, however I have never seen a hammer like this in a hardware store. It's not what finish you use, it's what you make.

Pandering about which finish is "better" is a foolish point, like anything it's personal to anyone's skill and preference, and it's offensive really to say others should do this or that finish or they are inferior.

Hey I really like how that hammer came out. Would I do it that way?---Nope; but I sure wouldn't toss it away if someone offered me one like that. Even my non-ferrous metal smithing hammers tend to have only the faces cleaned and buffed but as most of them are quite old I like the patina. (and am too lazy to boot!)

• 3 weeks later...