I Forge Iron

Shop built 250lb hammer

Yep, underpowered Im sorry to say.Just like a lot of homemade kinyon style hammers...That hammer has potential and could be a great one with the right components..
Right now its working like a hammer 1/3 its size..

now we know why it is for sale :o

I'm not so sure....If you read his ad and look at his expression in the vid he really thinks that thing rocks. In it's present state I'd give him a .75c a lb tops, well maybe a tad more if you're hot on Andie McDowell........ :wub: ........ The potential is there.

more like chinese water torture... drip drip drip.. but why didn't he at least heat the iron up hotter.... and maybe it wouldn't be such a dog (or less of a dog )

A full forging heat in the sunlight won't appear to be very hot. A 250 should have kept it hot imo.

• 3 weeks later...

its for sale again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blacksmith-Power-Hammer-Pneumatic-250-lbs-Anvil-little-ram-trenton-giant-VIDEO-/110936402068?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1404971279367570502%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26

Yeah... It was listed locally for $8,000 also.

Having run another hammer built by this guy, which was faster, but still flakey, I think the dude has potential to build decent hammers, but needs to take an honest look at his control scheme. I hate seeing talent wasted by the inability to be honestly self critical.

Looking at the video, this hammer seems to have a lot of slop in the tup like the other one I used also. Dunno if anybody noticed, but I can see it clearly deflecting on the strike. The one I've used was 100lb or so, as I recall, and I will say that it hit pretty hard, but it had a lot of quirks, sloppy tup, and erratic control.

Seems like with a little work, this bigger hammer could have real potential, but I wouldnt pay anything other than scrap value the way its running in that vid.

hmmm, gotta say thats as bad as ive seen! a couple of half inch bright nuts holding the bottom die in place? - seemed to be working loose. They would not last 5 mins if it had the power and blow rate it should for its capacity! a 25 kg (55lb) Anyang would embaress it, TBH im almost temped to put a set of similar dies in a 33lb and have a go at the same stock size!

Just a note of general powerhammeryness... the energy of the blow is 1/2 m v sq. Ie, its the velocity that is the really important bit, coz its squared! you cant get good energy without the ram travelling fast, coz thats where the velocity comes from! You can get the ram travelling fast with a low bpm (think KA 75) but you still dont get much work done due to the slow blow rate. The 'metal moved rate' is really a function of the energy you can lay down in a given amount of time, ie get the speed of the thing up :D

I asked Heston5000 a few Q's about the thing thinking maybe the cyl was too small and it is. I think the main flaw is the control though. I saw deflection in the ram as well but that's an easy fix but who wants a fixer upper for that kind of money?.......... :unsure:
Dear macbruceter,
The cylinder is 3.125. I sold my gas furnace and all i had to use was a
hairdryer forge, therefore my stock didnt get up to the desired heat range and the
forge was located remotely so i lost some heat on the way. The strike rate is totally
variable so yes it will go faster. I have another hammer frame made of 2 inch stock with a
six inch round stock anvil and tup that I am mabe going to include in the auction and mabe
raise the price a little. let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...