I Forge Iron

Shop built 250lb hammer

I have seen and used this hammer. It uses an electronic cycle timer to control an electric air shuttle valve. It throttles the intake air and not the exhaust. Very unique setup that I have not seen before. It will be interesting to see what it fetches if it sells.

Its probably the nicest homemade hammer Ive personally seen..
Trinculo: Does it hard? I mean I know its 250# but Ive seen a lot of homemade air hammers hit light for thier weight.
Hows this one do?

Everything is a bit small.... You could by quite a lot of hammer these days for $10,000.... I'll sell you a 300 lb Beaurdry for half that and I dont think many folks would buy a home built one off hammer for double what you can buy a Beaurdy for no matter how pretty it is.... It very well could have fantastic control and hit pretty good, but it wont do the work the Beaurdy will...

looks like a Bruce hammer, pretty lady and hot rod is definite giveaway!!!

LOL, my post is a quote of the first reply I ever got on this forum. I believe it was Grant, rest his soul, and he was right.......The Custom 150 is now IFI history but the hammer lives on and after having the anvil beefed up it kicks XXX........

Everything is a bit small.... You could by quite a lot of hammer these days for $10,000.... I'll sell you a 300 lb Beaurdry for half that and I dont think many folks would buy a home built one off hammer for double what you can buy a Beaurdy for no matter how pretty it is.... It very well could have fantastic control and hit pretty good, but it wont do the work the Beaurdy will...

Seriously? Because I know someone who wants to upgrade from his 100# Beaudry....hmmmmm

Seriously? Because I know someone who wants to upgrade from his 100# Beaudry....hmmmmm

A 100 pound Beaudry will do twice the work of a 100lb Kinion style air hammer (or Little Giant for that matter) It would be a fantastic all around machine.... Id jump on it if you could...

Larry, I disagree with your statement about Beaudry versus Kinyons. I've had both. My Iron Kiss hammers will do at least as much as Beaudries. Kinyons vary tremendously, of course, and generally shop made hammers use anemic pneumatics. When hits per unit time and falling weights are equal, and strokes are equal, the added force of pneumatics tends to favor the pneumatic hammer. That said, the fact is that Beaudries are built extremely well. Often they run too slowly, but that can be fixed.

I asked the seller about the weight and dia of the anvil.........

Dear macbruceter,

I am not sure of the weight but I think that it is in the three to four thousand pound
range. Anvil diameter is eight inches and the anvil is actually H 13 !!!!!!

- heston5000

I would reckon it's way closer to 3000lb than 4000, maybe even less........Seems like a waste of fine tool steel to me, but for Andie Mcdowell nothing is too good ............ :rolleyes:

He fired me some more info just before the auction ended, guess he thought I was interested....... :mellow:

Dear macbruceter,

Baseplate is 31.5 by 45 by 3.250"thick. C frame is
Over 1.5/8" thick
This hammer was built by myself and the man who taught Trozack
how to build strong frame hammers.He
also taught me how to smith and build hammers. Starting
way back in '97. This hammer is awesome and I have made everything from
damascus steel to giant trellises to orchids to hot rod parts. If a man wants,
weight may be added with an additional baseplate or cut down the ram. I have
additional steel plate that can be negotiated for. The control circuit is as
simple as I could make it and has minimum parts to wear out. It is a lot of
hammer for the money. It looks small on a little computer screen, I know.
Blessed is our craft.
- heston5000

Ive no doubt its a good hammer(I think it looks super nice for a home built hammer) but thats a lot of money in todays market..You can buy an awfully good hammer and a lot of other tools for $11K..

• 2 weeks later...