I Forge Iron

So you want to build a horse

Andrew, looking great but I'm curious how you will mount it?

from the left side, after gaining the respect of the beast! :P

there is no need to mount it on anything, as it will come to life when finished, and it then becomes more the question of "how big a fence to put around it", so it cant escape!

Very, very nicely done!

Your comment about working only the bit in front of you and not getting distracted really struck a chord with me.

I've worked with a bronze sculptor for 14 years and being able to stay with the intent of any given portion of a piece without losing sight of the whole is paramount to achieving the form.

The signature line on my posts comes from this. When I first started with him, I was working a high detail area with die grinders and had some confusion as to what came next. He walked over and said " You can see where I'm going with that area - just focus, and Grind to the Intent".

Thanks much for sharing your work with us. Please keep us updated and post pics when it's installed!

thanks all for the intresst you show in this horse and rider (yes i have to do a rider yet!)

Iron Woody- yes I must try to capture some sort of stylish beauty in the tail Im thinking of using square chain from old grain harvesters. I have some in different sizes and dont know yet if they will work together. motorbike chain was another option but with many so strands and each link needing a weld or two I dont think I have enough beer or persistence to make that one fly.

Chyancarreck yes 'the focus' is critical to being able to do this. I cant "see" the next piece of scrap I need to use unless I have the right frame of mind. When I have pushed on (without focus) I have always had to cut that part off and start again when I saw it the next day. I dont know how some of you guys n girls do this for over 8 hours a day but Im mentally exhausted after about 4-5 hours Ithen must to some mundane brain resting task like cleaning up the mess ive made .

Michael - The mount : well I know that it would be better to have some sort of curved base pole (so it doesnt "halt" the percieved forward motion of the horse) but I think I will go with what you see. I may cut a birdsmouth in the 4x4" box and bend / rotate the horse into more of an upward incline. I will also raise it by 2foot (600mm).I want the public to be able to reach out and touch the horses mouth. given the subject (horse) I think I may be forgiven for the simplicity of the mount if people are reminded of the carousel '(merry- go -round') horses they rode as a child at the circus. when painted matt black Im hoping the mount will disapear into insignifigance when the viewer comes closer and is lost in the detail that the many artifacts provide. ...........we shall see!

thank you Michael and MagGeorge

Sorry guys I must have misled yooz: The horse will stay rusty looking ,its the right colour for Jaffa (the horse being portrayed) I will paint the central pole matt black. this I hope will make it (the pole )be less obvious. I do not like the idea of painting the scrap artifacts (though I have seen some painted scrap art done well)
The real risk is the public clamouring over it. I made another horse in 2009 it now has a fence around it which I think detracts a bit.
But you cant stop idiots effected by booz going for a photo oportunity. bit of a shame really!

How many hours have you studied equine anatomy? It is truly amazing that you have found bit and pieces that are just right. How much time do you spend at the scrap yard looking for the right bits?

And its amazing how you have captured the movement mid stride! One good lighting strike and this beasty is going to run the praires.

Beautiful. Keep giving us pictures!
Cliff

andrew - i LOVE the idea that your mount will remind us of a carousel :) you are totally forgiven for that! really interesting hearing you talk in this thread about your work, i find any kind of creative work exhilarating at times, but also tiring mentally, and i can totally see why you need to switch off from your all consuming work after 4 or 5 hours! i like the idea of him being at an angle too, very dynamic :) am relieved he wont be painted black i have to say, and the description of your scrap artifacts warms my heart :) thats perfect :) keep up the inspiring creative genius, a pleasure to watch.

Thank you Cliff and Beth,

I have not studied equine anatomy but rathet the 2D profile shapes and curves that make up the various parts of any animal. If you get a drawing or photo and measure the distance between the leg joints then multiply that distance by your scale multiplier you can make a skeleton that 'works'. if you can then bend and adjust it ,the battle is nearly won. The adjustment is necessary as the scrap artifacts themselves may cause a deviation from the measured plan, the position of the limb may be correct as per the photo but it 'just doesnt look right' If you have done that you must then look at filling in the 3d shape. Take a human lower leg. if you have it the correct length and bent /adjusted to a recognisable (very important) stance. then look at the curves involved. the shin side is concave and the calf is convex. If you look for a curved piece of scrap, cut it to length then weld weld it on you cant stuff it up. all that is important is the curves go the right way. If the curve is exaggerated or diminished it wont matter. Sometimes exaggeration looks even better. so.......... I just look for a basic shape which i trim to length and weld/ bolt / pin it on.

The time it takes to 'find' the right piece gets less and less with practice. There are critical areas you must get right such as body curves / creases / major muscle goups but once those areas are done you can add any item and it will look ok.

It is very helpful if you can open your mind up and when you look at an object :think of multiples (eg: two of the same object back to back) or halving to get the desired shape. An example of this is the curved rear end behind the legs of the horse .This shaped area was made from a single truck rim locking ring: firstly cut in half , then cut in half again and welded back to back. This gave the desired rounded quarter circle shape where before it looked nothing like the desired shape.
I hope this is of some help.

i will post more photos in a 2 days time.
thanks for your interest
andrew

There are some in Oz who would crucify you for doing that to a genuine H V McKay cast iron seat, personally I think it looks a bit too big on the horses back, sorta like a R M Williams stock saddle on a 14 hand pony. Not sure what type of riding Taylor was into but there are different saddles for each discipline and they are shaped quite differently. You might want to look into that a little if you are going for a fully authentic look.

Andrew

PS: and yes we have four horse shaped paddock ornaments wandering around our 75 acres. Kids outgrew theirs and the wife and I haven't had the time or energy to ride for ages. They are all fat and happy not having to do any work, they just have to put up with the odd hoof trimming and ear scratch, same appplies to the horses.

YES farmweld I agree that the seat is too big . I will have to look at something else. Its just such a great shape. I disagree with those that think I shouldnt 'waste' this artifact on a sculpture . i personally think that there could not be a more worthy location for any previously horse drawn artifact. each to his own view!

Thank you Seldom for those kind words. I have always tried to make my art accessible to the public and I get no greater reward than when i see the smiles and laughter in both adult and child as they pose for a family holiday photo with my works. I cannot understand an artist that want to produce work that is not understood (and sometimes hated ) by 90% of the viewing public. If its all about ' them' (the artist) and the art snobs who consider themselves elite ,I think they should leave their work in a darkened room behind locked doors.

Agree'd Ive seen some "abstract sculptures" and heard the "it represents mans struggle with... etc" and I think, sure it does represent one mans struggle..... with a mig welder.
What you have created is not only impressive artwork, it is also inspiring me to give it a try myself. Looks great, thanks for sharing so many pictures of your work.

Woodsmith

Yes Woodsmith it is very hard to see what the hell they are talking about. I often think it is like the story of "The emperors new coat"

everyone running round saying how nice , the colour , texture style , shape etc , when in reality they all secretly know its nothing. I have tried very hard to keep an open mind and "see" the new coat, and I cannot and Im not going to pretend (like so many others) that I can.

The art and natural beauty of your sculpture is truly inspiring...I would like to say I can not wait to see it finished but the truth is I am really enjoying watching the build!!! Much like the anticipation of the next chapter while reading a good novel. Love the work and the skillful use of the different components.
Tim
ps: the seat looks awesome...