I Forge Iron

So you want to build a horse

I don't know what to say !! fantastic vision you have - truly amazing   - I will never again throw away a single bolt or broken spanner in the vain hope that I may be able to produce something like this one day!

Love this forum

Phil

Thanks Phil, Whirly and Alecko . Ive been having problems posting on this site is anyone else having trouble. there is a new window on bottom right of screen saying " with 1 checked post (arrow), then ( Box): Go .......................virus or bug????????? 

scrap - have just caught up with your thread - its blinkin marvellous!!! her face , as you rightly said was the biggest challenge, and youve done it beautifully, its really touching, she looks young and cool, and totally into her mission! the hair is brilliant i absolutely love it - it gives it such a sense of movement. you must feel great now that all the elements have finally been realised, and theres that quite basic joy of any sculptor of seeing something tangible and fantastic exist in the real world, that was previously just an idea. you are the total Kiddie scrap!!!!

Thank you :

Mat,

David,

& Yves.

yes ...the aim is to try to put 'life' into the work . For me this is achieved by avoiding bilateral symmetry and showing , well .... imperfection rather than a perfectly balanced form you could cut in half and have a mirror image. For me,  it is the movement away from  perfect form that makes it look  'alive'

Have a good break!!!! cheers Andrew

thats so important andrew - i totally agree about the symetry :) a mirror image would be extremely dull and not at all how living things are.... an incredible and wonderful job - i hope you feel really happy about the work,  thanks for documenting so well, its been a pleasure :) happy christmas, if your doing that stuff.. :) 

It is fascinating to me that a pile of steel can evoke such poignancy and emotion.  It appears that both horse and rider are totally in sync with each other, both looking ahead to the upcoming challenge (perhaps a jump?).

You are an amazing artist, and have set the bar very, very high for the rest of us.  Thank you!

Mate what can I say I've followed this from the beginning I've showed my wife every time you've posted your progress and both of us are amazed by your skill , I could have a go at copying what you've done if I had some drawings to go off but I could never have the forsight to bring something to life from nothing that is why you stand out here it's a great skill you have Taylor's parents will be stoked well done

Theres just not enough WOW !!!!! in the word wow to describe the LIFE LIKE forms you do !

I have never seen anything anywhere even close to the kind of scrap work ART you do !

you and youre art are one of a kind ! & so far beond GREAT theres just no words I can think of :D

THANK YOU showing youre work :wub:

Steve --  Iron Wolf Forge

• 2 weeks later...

You say you like input from horseman, I am a couple months shy of my 75th birthday, Only about four of those years, army, first year of college, first year out of college. etc have I been without a horse. I have also competed in the sport that you are portraying and you, Sir, have done an unbelievable job. That is amazing.

Ironman50. Yes ! looking for the right bit is the only 'fun' part of the entire process ( other than drinking beer , and staring at the sculpture: planing the next bit / or finding mistakes in the work)
most5 of it is hard work, punctuated by ecstacy when you see something you 'got right'

Vaughn T. im sorry, I dont have the ability you describe. I draw sketches of basic gesture , build a metal internal frame based on those sketches, then I search for ONE part ( maybee ONE nostril) and on it goes from there!

Jack Evers Thank you so much for those kind words!. One of my biggest fears with this project was that I might appear as a 'pretender' , and that the work was not "true" to horse or habit. thank you again.