I Forge Iron

So you want to build a horse

ah! scrapz! its beautiful - really wonderful! love how youve managed to keep movement in the tail, it looks drawn, lovely and loose! also particularly drawn to the mane and cheeks, the planes on the cheeks, the head is fantastic, it all is :) briliant. looks like you had a really absorbing time creating this :)

In the 16th century Italy there was an artist named Giuseppe Arcimboldo who was a painter employed by the royal court . His paintings used assemblages of vegetables to create images of members of the court. Your work reminds me of of his images . Both are fine art so far as I am concerned. You are in very good company.

Here is some more progress . Note the saddle base joins to a central square post that fits in a vertical housing. The finished saddle lifts off like the real thing. I am not sure about the bridle and harness. These are a requirement of the buyer.. Im thinking some of the beautiful lines in the horses head are now lost. what do you think?

IMG_01341.JPG

IMG_01551.JPG

IMG_01601.JPG

IMG_01403.JPG

right_front.JPG

This is my first time chiming in on this topic. First, your work is really amazing. You are a true artist and craftsman.
Second, no I don't think the bridle takes away from it's lines anymore than it does a real horse. It does make it look even more life like.

Thank you for sharing your work with us. It is all very inspiring.

Mitch

thank you Seldom and McRobb.

I have to go back and reposition the girth strap to a more correct position as my father says its wrong. after "spitting the dummy" and feeling my 'art' was not appreciated ( would you ask Leonardo to shift mona's nose up a bit) I had a reality check : The buyers also noted the position of the girth strap and asked me to change it. After a few internal swear words I realised i was ignorant of 'horse stuff' and if you are asked to build a nag with all the trimmings accurately ... then thats what you must do.
cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the interest Whirly . I have had a few dramas to sort out (OK now) and I am now working on the rider. Legs mount to horse via ankle , stirrup will be added later to give illusion that rider is standing in stirrups. Note the fully articulated joints on the heavy wall 1inch box internal frame. This allows unlimited adjustment. Each leg fits into a vertical housing at pelvis that can be separated.The arms can also be removed. These housings are locked by a nut and bolt.. Once gesture is finalised all 'uni' joints are welded up. I used 2 ropes to set and adjust pelvis and shoulder height. Horizontal movement can be made by sliding the rope forward or to the rear on the rail suspended from roof. Once I am happy with the internal frame it is dissasembled and reassembled on a work table at a convenient height.

cheers!

skel1.JPG

skel2.JPG

skel_3.JPG

skel4.JPG

andrew,
love the show you are giving us, its great. to my eye it appears that perhaps the feet are to far back at this point and the knee bent more than should be. in other words a longer stirrup length and a deeper seat. feet should be about even with the cinch. just my 2 cents and suggestions that i see. doing great, keep up the good work.
seldom

andrew,
love the show you are giving us, its great. to my eye it appears that perhaps the feet are to far back at this point and the knee bent more than should be. in other words a longer stirrup length and a deeper seat. feet should be about even with the cinch. just my 2 cents and suggestions that i see. doing great, keep up the good work.
seldom

Thanks for the Tips Seldom. I acknowledge you have a far greater knowledge of horses than me. The rider and horse are based on 5 actual jumping photos of Taylor and her horse Jaffa. In each of those photos the stirrup , feet, knee and buttocks are very close to the position I have created . So Im working with what I see not what may be more correct in a equestrian event. I really dont know the correct positions for each of these key points but I have noted that (looking at many internet images) when the horse initially "kicks off" in a jump the forward momentum of the horse causes the riders feet (and stirrup) to move rearward like a pendulum, away from the position you describe. I guess that as the rider gains equilibrium with the horse (a second or so later)the riders feet will return to the position you describe. I thank you for your input and If you see any glaring errors Please let me know as I am a complete novice in these matters.

Whirly............ Thanks mate!