I Forge Iron

So you want to build a horse

Hi folks Ive started on a memorial sculpture of a horse and rider for the parents of young girl tragically killed in a horse riding accident. The work will be inspected in October and if accepted I will commence work on the rider. The horse is Jaffa and the beautiful, talented and inspirational 16 year old girl was Taylor Farley.

Here is the record of the construction of "Taylor and Jaffa"

more pics in a few weeks ,cheers ...............andrew

100_1090.JPG

100_10981.JPG

100_1077.JPG

100_1107-001.JPG

100_1109-001.JPG

100_1113-001.JPG

Thank you Neil , David , whirly and Tim

Because I do this part time it will take about 7 months to complete.so progress will seem a little slow. Thanks for the encouraging words. I will try to show the entire process so that a beginer can have a go at a big project like this.( without all the sleepless nights solving the engineering dramas)
. cheers
Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou Neil, I think most people could do this sort of thing . the main barrier is a lack of time and good "stuff "to select from. The trick to it is to focus only on that small 3d shape of the external surface of the small body part you are working on . It takes a bit of practice as you have to cast off distractions and focus on that shape u want.

here is some more progress:

100_1191.JPG

100_1196.JPG

100_1194.JPG

100_1205.JPG

100_1211.JPG

100_1224.JPG

how absolutely beautiful! :) am so excited by this one, the mane! man, its gorgeous!!! really spun out by the beauty of that mane... the feet, how they move is excellent, its going to be magnificent. you can tell what your investing of yourself in this one- it looks superb! really beautiful lines . sensitive, statuesque and very touching :) really exciting, making the world go round this kind of thing :)

Thank you Beth Casper and David,

I have been unable to log in / connect to this site for most of the last 10 days. Is anyone else having dramas or is my computer bugged and being blocked by the site?

any ideas.????????
I will post when it lets me on again but its only been 1 out of 50 attempts1

cheers
Andrew

Great to see the progress on Jaffa. Your talent is awesome Mate. With the front legs set like that, is Jaffa going to be hurdling/steeple chasing?
As for the log on business, no dramas here, so .....Gremlins???

Great to see the progress on Jaffa. Your talent is awesome Mate. With the front legs set like that, is Jaffa going to be hurdling/steeple chasing?
As for the log on business, no dramas here, so .....Gremlins???

Yes Whirly , the horse that i am modeling this on did cross country jumps. The position of the front legs has been taken from a number of photos of the horse and ride that this sculpture is representative of. I do not know how the tragic accident occured or if the horse is still around.

gremlins gone on this attempt. i will see what happens next time.
cheers
andrew

Glad the bugs are gone.
It's great to see you building something so beautiful and lasting, even from such a tragic event. I know nothing will ever compensate the parents for the loss of their girl, but she died doing what she loved doing and with this sculpture, you'll imortalise her. People who see it will know who Taylor Farley was and what she loved doing, for as long as the steel endures....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...