I Forge Iron

my coal forge

royce unruh

it looks good, and you might want a chiminey on it, if you do put on on, have it sheilding the man on the blower from the main part of heat. have the opening for it on the one side, somthing you can also do instead of doing a classic "cover it and pull the smoke up" chiminy, you can make a "draft" chimney. its your same round opening but it acts on the concept that the cool air will pull in the hot and and thus also pull in the smoke... atleast i believe thats right. id have to consult my old masonry textbooks on grill building about this though

Well it comes down to do *you* think it needs a chimney? What's ok for one fellow will be impossible environment for another. Outside forges do tend to need more of an enclosed fire area to profit most from a chimney though.

One question your profile says location Georgia: is that Georgia in the USA or Georgia in the USSR?

I like that "firepot". Actually I like that is is something not often seen, a departure from the "pot" or "duck's nest".

The long V configuration would lend itself well to applications where a heat taken along a length of stock was advantageous, especially if both ends were open.

Versatile.

With the usual firepot you have one central point where the blast is introduced. With a long folded V shaped firepot you could have a series of holes running the whole length to deliver air across the full length of it with holes all the way along the pipe. If you want just a small usual fire a rotating sleeve that would leave just the holes in the middle open would work a charm.

thats the way it is ferrous that four in pipe has a closed off 3-1/2 in inside with that threaded rod to adjust the holes open or closed the pic i got of that didnt turn out good so i trashed it

oh i forgot to say i live in louisville georgia usa

well, yes the chimney idea doesnt seem that appealing outside, untill the wind shifts or the wind decides to blow where your working. i have my forge and anvil and vice all outside, but the wind just absolutely kills me. i have the anvil on a stump so combined its 200-300lbs. and the vice are bolted to a heavy steel table. i have no idea where the wind is going to blow the smoke untill it starts smoking, then i have to pickup the forge and move it to get it where the smoke isnt in my eyes and lungs when im working. thats why i was all for the chiminey idea, i KNOW how much it absolutly SUCKS to get that in your eyes. i get so mad when i have hot steel in the vise, i have 10seconds on the clock and i gotta run away because of where the smoke is blowing.

to tell u the truth the smoke doesnt bother me much just when i turn the blower while lighting but its not in its permanent sutup yet so that might change the vise is on the other corner from the blower and the anvils about 3 feet behind that threaded rod like i said its not set up right yet
i think i will forget the chimney till its set up the right way thanks though

Hey Royce,

Nice job getting your forge up and running. If you can control the fire and have enough depth in the pot it will work. Unless your are setting up to work on large (long) speciality pieces, deep is better than wide for most applications.

For outside ops I have seen some set ups where they shroud the fire pot and funnel the smoke off, it helps at demos. It also offers a bit of shade so you can see the color changes better. Most of the shrouds are cut down 55 gal drums, open on one side so you can get in and out, with a short piece of stove pipe attached. Nothing fancy but they do work well. Easily portable as they just sit on top of the forge table.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok got it all set up now and i also painted my forge clayed the firepot not that it needed it too much but was worried about the front it kept scaling changed the blower and made an anvil stand just need someone to help me get the anvil on it proly will get someone this evepost-25950-0-16631100-1343072555_thumb.jpost-25950-0-57072700-1343072581_thumb.jpost-25950-0-36528200-1343072590_thumb.j
just need to build a roof over head that wont get in the way of dad 30 ft wide hanger door which isnt shown here

post-25950-0-08333900-1343072568_thumb.j

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i forge after dark most of the time with a light on the anvils and there is a door o can let up right where the picture was taken that lifts out and shades the area the forge is also on the north side of the buiding shade isnt too much of a problem just rain and wind soon to be remeded thpough

post-25950-0-53197500-1362599513_thumb.j door closed
post-25950-0-16870800-1362599581_thumb.j cable pulley system outside
post-25950-0-67157600-1362599588_thumb.j motor and winch and brake
post-25950-0-61709800-1362599596_thumb.j partway up
post-25950-0-84261300-1362599609_thumb.j all the way up
post-25950-0-56710400-1362599623_thumb.j dads reason for the door (its fs) beechcraft sundowner 82' the specifications would be the really close to the same on this one though http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/aircraft/specifications/beechcraft/1977-beech-sundowner-n18861.html
post-25950-0-61802600-1362599633_thumb.j a few upgrades to my forge table storge table underneath and cold bent hooks for stock racks onthe back and sides
post-25950-0-16721900-1362599644_thumb.j dads gasser

that help?
thanks,
Royce

Thankyou for the pictures of the door.  Other than the bi-fold doors That are cable lift on the inside the doors that I have seen like yours use hydraulic cylinders to lift them.  This door is the first one I have seen with a cable lift.  Thanks again!   Armand