I Forge Iron

Yea I'm kinda chomping at the bit myself, at the moment I have no choice but to wait for my friends knee to heal so he can haul up the crete. I did finished the wood for under the frame of the Niles, 11" high will bring the die to 35". It was difficult work with the frame mounted at ground level, this should make a big difference.

I have been thinking about an XXL forge to feed these beast, I'm kinda split between a ribbon burner and a oil burner?

I have to go get heating oil so I use 5 gal fuel cans. I pour that into a small tank (3 gal) mounted level with the burner on the cart the forge is on. I should mount it a little above. No real fumes to speak of once the forge is up to temp but there is some smoke until then. Otherwise it is not messy unless I spill oil filling the tank. I like the small tank so as not to have to much near the forge at one time but it would be better to have bigger. I think it has a 1 GPH nozzle in it now so the 3 gal tank will last a little over 2 hrs- the outlet is above the bottom so as not to suck crud. I seem to have trouble with pics.
I am trying to set up a nice filter station to be able to recycle oil for the forge.
smith

poor old girl. she just cant make it..... i see her seat is waiting too..... and air line! love the grinder collection. i dug my foundation hole yesterday, i have to raise the whole hammer 160mm off the ground. at ground level the anvil is only 380mm off the floor! :huh: must have been for making dwarven battle axes..... :wacko:

irony or ignorance? how were people shorter? we see shorter door frames, and assume that people were shorter. going by this assumption, people living in igloos must be 1ft tall? :huh:
i think it is more that this hammer was used with relatively heavy swages and tooling, and the height was necessary so the offsider didnt have to cripple himself lifting tools any higher..... or for making dwarven battle axes...... :P

hi, i did my calculations, my hammer tup is 313lb (142 kg) and anvil is 7334lb (3327kg) so that is more than 1:20 isnt it? good ratio.
isnt it?
oh, and i think i got my head around the throttle treadle idea! takes a while for some things to work out in my head........
apologies for my incredulity on the matter!

naw, i havent put anything in the hole yet, i have been on changing shifts ( hence the 4 am breakfast log on) so the project is going painfully slow......
in your opinion, does such a large ratio mean less foundations are required, or more?

mine is going into very sandy soil, so i am laying down a 6" slab first at the bottom of the hole, then the wood, im using 4"x8" ironbark railway sleepers (ties), but i have been advised to put the grain running vertically. it is great working for a cane railway!

Woody, seems awfully slim on the concrete. Maybe if your pad has a large foot print you could distribute the weight outward with the wood horizontal stepped upward... You won't be able to do that on end, you will only transfer the anvil size straight down, looks to be 20"x 28"? The little I have run the 200 it has already settled the 36" deep 40"x 50" foundation almost 3/16" I'm hoping it stays where it is now!

I truly went to work on paying jobs today, I did make it till after lunch... A burning hole in my brain kept nagging me, POWER HAMMER :wacko: My good friend and mentor has always told me "You knew you were in this by yourself when you started" so I went ahead and set the frame by myself! I was also able to set the sow block and bottom die, I will get some paying work done tomorrow, I promise :P

post-2769-0-45719600-1344385823_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-81269000-1344385834_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-64510200-1344385846_thumb.jp