I Forge Iron

While on the subject of hammer guards and safety etc, and while looking through my files for those photos I also found a photo of a temporary disposeable hammer guard/safety shield for hand hammers too.

(This is to be taken with a grain of salt too guys, I'm not being serious here, just made me laugh seeing the photo thought I'd share)

HOW DARE YOU DEGRADE THIS THREAD WITH HUMOUR!!!

i am reporting this to the moderators!!!!

Fire away woodmiester, report at will.

Yes John you are correct Kymon forge (or CGCKymon now), yeh, the guy who works Fridays for us who is also the guy who you see driving it keeps it in pretty good order, he says its easier to do good work easily with machines that work well and are looked after than to try to do good work with rubbish that is broken and has had the stuffing smashed out of it. 

You can see that Pete is driving (pumping) the hammer also as he is driving it, that will give you a longer springier blow, he can also make it give dead blows in the same way just by timing the stoke of when he pushes the handle forward, then pulling it back on the up or down stroke depending on what he needs the hammer to do.

One more reason why I'd like to get him here full time.

Phil

Woodmiester, the 40 is not in my shop, its at CGCKymon down in Gosford.  We only have a 5 clear space installed.

If you were to rock up we would have to go and have a look at it though, as well as the forging press at 'Comsteel".

Phil

OK we've come up with some footage of the big fella actually hitting something, (not a real good video it was shot with a phone)

but not that bad either, Watch the skill of the guy driving the manipulator, my mate says it normally only takes the young guys 2 days to get good on them, he reckons "if they are good on those stupid computer games they are good driving a manipulator too". 

Note also how the hammer driver drops the hammer back into single blow hold down while the manipulator gets another grip as they are rolling out the punch.  These guys drive the hammer without the stop in (the stop prevents the hammer from going out of automatic drive mode) so as they can move fluidly between drive and single blow. This crew of guys normally are working on a 15cwt clear space, but they have jumped in on the 40 while the 40 crew is getting another heat on their jobs, reason being they can take 3 or 4 heats to get these punched and rolled out on the 15 or  they can jump in between heats on the 40 and get that part of their jobs done in one heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FcZ3GuvsJ0&feature=youtu.be

I have posted a couple videos of my 75 and 150 Iron Kiss hammers operating in treadle hammer mode on youtube at jcl10000.  This is my response to my quest for an air hammer to have a mode of behaviour like a steam hammer.  I'm not sure how to give you "one click access" to them.

neat videos john, i like the control you have put into them, do you have an adjustment for the bpm? i was always uncomfortable with the speed of the massey #1 (one was 241 bpm, the other 239) when using top tools, but for standard forging i dont mind so much.

is your 200 slower than your 50?

John to embed videos on IFI, find Grant Sarvers channel on youtube (nakedanvil) he shows in step by step mode how to embed youtube vids here, its that simple even a knuckledragger like me could work it out.  Even though Grant is gone for a few years now, he's still teaching us from beyond the grave.

Phil

Iron Woody, the hammers are speed controllable, and as I slow them down the inherent stroke length gets longer.  The hammers can "full stroke" and that correspondingly uses more air.  I didn't show that in the video, but mentioned it.  Iron Kiss hammers are tuneable to meet the needs of any particular smith. 

Thanks again, Phil.

Yes men, he did it !

Congrats John, now there's not much left to improve, hélas  :rolleyes:

The control you've got with a 150lbs ram is really stunning  :wub:

Do you get the same 'tup follows treadle' effect that Ken have allowing yoyo without having the ram topping between each single blow ? 

The specs are weight of falling parts (ram) 2 ton, stroke 38 inches, dia of ram, 20 inches,  overall height of hammer 14' I", total weight of hammer 52 tons,  motor HP 160, blows per minute 80, blow energy 43000 ft-lbs bar size worked efficiently 13 to 22 inches square.

A truly awesome and beautiful machine.

Phil

Phil,

I do not think it would work 22" efficiently if I were holding the other end.

Ric

• 3 weeks later...

This site is still alive. Everyone seems to be busy right now--I sure am. Also the valve open discussion has some chat going on that would have occurred here, I suppose. Danger Dillon's use of an extra handle on the spear of his steam hammer is the latest innovation (the shackled connection to the main motion lever allows this to work), John N's pursuit of a large stash of Massey hammers has him busy, etc.

• 10 months later...

Those will move some metal fast.

Just in case...

My first attempt at a pair of fullers attached in a similar way lasted for one blow! My assistant (and I :( ) forgot to put the clearance in the holes after drilling through for the tapping holes in the pallet. The tiny bit of bedding movement on the first blow sheared some of the bolts.

In order to give them a firm and flexible fixing I ended up opening the holes to Ø20mm (Ø3/4") and cutting some short lengths of 12mm (1/2") bore reinforced rubber hose (car heater hose is what I happened to have). With a large washer the fixing bolts then squeezed the tube and it expanded out taking a firm grip on the tool...

Alan

I used to have a signature based on the Arabic saying about "a wise man learning from his mistakes, but a lucky man learns from the mistakes of others. :)