I Forge Iron

tongs for the hammerin

Sam Salvati

Forging some tongs for a fellow having a hammer in at his shop that has no tongs, so two full basic sets here, 20 pieces making 10 tongs 5 per set. Sets includes two flat bar tongs for 1" and 1 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick, two bolt tongs for 3/8" and 3/4", and one set of fine pickups. got these all forged in about 4 hours today. Going to get them all jaw formed then drill the holes for the rivets, then hot rivet them all tonight then final fit and tweaking tomorrow. Shipping monday overnight to Alaska for the 1st annual Arctic Fire Hammerin live web broadcast! Info here:

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=22731&st=0

and photos:

599701_4171030125008_1935970653_n.jpg

551669_4171030085007_793382928_n.jpg

Here is the two sets all finished. Each basic set has 2 flat bar tongs to hold 1/4" thick by 1" and 1 1/2" wide, two sets of bolt tongs to hold 3/8" and 3/4", and a set of fine pickup tongs. Took the time to wire wheel em too to make them extra nice. let me know what you all think.

282647_4180216234655_1455639247_n.jpg

Peter, I hope I didn't give the wrong impression, he paid for these fair and square.

Nampa you flatter me!! grant's tongs were the best, no doubt he set the standard so I studied them and try to make my tongs along the same lines.

Vaughn thanks, I do em under the flat dies, no seperate tooling. When doing it by hand, that extra 10% to smooth things out can turn into 80%!!!

thanks Will, Yes I am, why do you ask?

I was planning to attempt a set of tongs based on your tutorial you posted a while back and was just wondering what material you used for the pin. The place I usually get steel from mostly stocks the small rounds in 1018.

Yeah, thanks Woody <_< , fair cop. I actually spent a fair bit of time today fitting wheels to a slab of 1/2" plate I'm gunna use for the base. Need to make it mobile before the hammer and drive wheel go on top, otherwise I'll never move it once it's all bolted together.

Sam, not trying to hijack your post, just answering the question...Looking at your tongs has got me back on track to finish my hammer, thanks...I think?.....

Sam,

Thanks for this post. I have been struggling with the goose neck for some time. Some good videos out there but your pic of them laid out as blanks is the best view of "The Blank" I have seen! So many folks do the bend in process so its been difficult to see the transition from bit to pivot. I took the liberty of saving that image to my tool image folder :) (I promise to give credit where credit is due)

Thanks again,
Scott