I Forge Iron

quiet anvil vid

How thick is the rubber, or does it matter? I have access to some hard rubber that is about 1/2" thick. I plan on mounting the anvil onto a hardwood stump, so I am also wondering if the wood alone is enough. Thanks for the video, as I am in process of building my shop and want to keep the noise down so my neighbor has less reason to dislike it.

The vid is a chap in the UK who does some great Youtube vids called Gary Huston - I have his channel as a favourite he does some great stuff.

I was always thinking about using lorry engine mounts in the same way...but this is a much simpler method.

Chris

All of the conveyor belting that I've seen is about 1/4" thick. The durometer can change, but Tractor Supply Co. sells it by the foot and it's very cheap.

I recently experimented with magnets and found that a strong magnet placed on the edge of the heel killed a lot of the noise. Place another magnet on the horn and the anvil because as quiet as in this video. And, seating the anvil in a bed of construction adhesive silenced the anvil almost as much as the magnets did. All of this was done on with an anvil sitting on a 'stump' made of 6x6 pine, and the anvil wasn't tied down to the anvil in any way.

If you plan to move it, a bed of several layers of roofing felt (tar paper) trimmed to fit the base works well. It will compress and conform to the bottom over time.

If it does not need to come apart, a bed of silicone caulk is perfect.

Magnets move, and attract all the scale and slivers.

Oiled sand in the tube or pipe for the legs stops noise and rusting while adding weight, expanding foam kills noise while keeping it light.

bolting down the anvil on the stump like the one of Macbruce's picture in this thread: will kill sound at least as effectively as the solution above, instead is easier. I done it on all my anvils and the difference is big. and the trick with the tar paper may help also.
it kills all the "bell ring" of the anvil.