I Forge Iron

Best blacksmith techniques teacher

Well, this is the Internet
I am sure that the recommended teachers are excellent! Do any of us really have the information or the omniscient judgment to be able to proclaim who is he best?i What's good for one person may be not as good for another. What is difficult for one person might be the ideal for another. I'm just saying your criterion, although useful, is kind of simplistic. sorry for the late hour, if I don't make sense.p

Dunno, I'd like to try a few different ones before I could begin to comment on how their style fit to me or versa visa etc....I do favor Brian's work, and mark aspery, a proven, titled master blacksmith, ....I'd take a heap of USB sticks, and be looking for the plug in the back of the head...lol.
To be honest, if I won lotto, I'd be flittering all over the joint getting some tuition or tips from almost anyone
that would tolerate it.
I think it would be best to consider (if your budget and lifestyle allowed it,) to get a bit from as many different teachers as possible,,

I think a person can learn something from all smiths around the world, no matter if it's in a high tech shop or a Nepalese kami forging kukris on a piece of RR track. (I bet he could teach most western world smiths a thing or two and vice versa).

I am not a blacksmith although I would like to be, but I have been exposed to a lot of instructors in my life that were tasked to pass along technical skills. What I have found to be true over the years is that the very best instructors students can also be reliably expected to both demonstrate and explain those very same techniques.

Brain Brazeal and Lyle Wynn fall into that category of instructor; their students not only learn the skills but are able to pass them along to others.

Heat, hold, hit!
Surface area contact.
It's so easy it forges itself
Hit turn, hit turn, hit turn.
Put some pine tar on it.

This is but a small part of the litany I am exposed to by my son most days at noon when I take a lunch break (well he eats while he teaches me to forge). My point is that Brian taught my son so thoroughly in the techniques of moving metal that it is almost as if Brian is in the shop with us. Daniel makes me want to cry sometimes he is so adamant that I use the correct techniques (just like Brian).

If you want to see what I am speaking of come by Brian's stand at the ABANA Conference and speak with any of the "Young Smiths" that will be working with Brian. It truly is amazing to watch them work and have them explain what they are doing and why!

If I had more time I would spend as much time as I was able learning from Brian. As it is, I am having my son spend the time with him, and then bring the education back home to train me.

My two cents worth....

Chris

It is true that those mentioned are very very good. But, I think Frank Turley in New Mexico is the grand daddy of teachers. His knowledge base on blacksmith and related subjects is unbelievable. If you want to learn not just lots of techniques, but also knowledge in blacksmithing Frank is the man. I've taken his week course and loved every minute. He has continued to be a resource for me on anything metal. He has been a teacher for a very very long time and there is a reason his school is still open. Good luck in your search.