I Forge Iron

Dupont value

Curious if anyone would care to speculate about the value of a 25 lb dupont power hammer. Model O. The hammer currently is not operational and has no motor or belt, it is set up for overhead belt driving power so might need some retrofitting to run off a regular motor. I am trying to talk the owner into selling but he seems to think his hammer is worth a lot. I can't really find any comparables to show him.
Thanks for the help

It depends mostly on condition... but that being equal, there is a big difference between them. The dupont is a much more rugged, industrial machine and probably has close to twice the weight of the LG, with a stronger guide system and larger bearings and designed to work all day, every day for years in a factory setting doing industrial production work. The LG is a smaller, lighter hammer intended to be used in a small blacksmith shop to enhance the output of a smith. If its a well set up hammer, it should have finer control than the dupont. Thats my view, at least. Restoring the dupont could get alot more involved, I know at least some did not have babbit main bearings and could take alot of machining. I would love to have a 25 pound dupont, excellent hammer.

Besides not being hooked up to a line shaft, what makes the machine not operational? Is it missing parts? Putting an electric motor to run a mini line shaft/jack shaft above it is an easy thing to do. Lots of info on that type of thing on IFI. Show us some detailed photos

Location is another factor. Ohio probably has 10x the no. of hammers than LA, so that affects price. If all else were equal (and having owned and operated both LG's and DuPont/Fairbanks hammers) I'd pay at LEAST 1.5 times more for a Fairbanks than a LG. Again all else being equal. A not running but intact LG here in Vermont would fetch at least 1k, probably more.