I Forge Iron

Good day at a sale

Went to a blacksmith sale today. I came home with2 25# 1 50# and 1 100# little giants today all for less than scrap price. Both 25s are missing some parts ( ram guide and shifting fork). The 50 is and old style that some one cut the frame in two about 2 inches above the die, The 100 is complete but taken apart. Pics to follow tomorrow. Anvils were well under $2.00 a pound one peter wright 150# trenton !70 # and a mouse hole 272 # 6 0r 8 post vises around $1.00 a pound. Lots of other tools all worth the money.

I think the 50 could be fixed, but it would be a lot of work. I doubt that anyone would be willing to buy a hammer that the frame has been broken, and pay enough money to justify the fix. All of the operating parts are in good shape. I think my best bet is to recondition all the parts and sell them as people need them.
I am thinking about useing the lower half as the anvil and base for a home built air hammer build I have had on my mind for a while.

I think a scraper did it to get it so it would not be docked for over size. You can see where they scored it with the edge of an angle grinder soit would snap off I have done the same thing many times to large cast pieces but never to a power hammer. The pins are all standard size and not worn out If any one has a good frame and no parts we need to get together. I of us needs to buy the other one out.

Good to see you made it all the way home with that load Phil. Sure made your truck squat.

Looks like Margie won't be seeing much of you for a while, unless she comes to visit you in the shop. :)

Peacock, I might be interested if you want to sell some parts off of your 25 Lb hammers. That transition style hammer I got has broken toggle arms, and a broken brass pitman. Thanks Blue.

I plan on putting both 25s together. If you want to use old style arms on you hammer you will need toalso use tension adjusting knuckles andthreaded tee toggle link. you can use the much cheaper new style pitman with some modifications, works great is alot cheaper.