I Forge Iron

How much do you pay for coal?

Hey all.
I found a source for coal about an hour and a half drive away from me. Not the best stuff, it's just above heating coal in terms of BTU's. It is, however, pretty cheap. The guy is asking 100 a ton.
So, I'm heading out next weekend with some 5 gallon plastic buckets to fill up and check out what it's like.
I'm paying $75.00 for a 50lb bag of the good stuff these days and I go through it pretty quickly. I'm thinking that if I can use the cheap stuff to do the majority of the work, and keep the good stuff around for welding, it would be worth the trip.

Thoughts?

We need to figure out where you live and what BTU coal you are looking to buy. My location, coal runs from 12K BTU to over 15K BTU. The 12K barely works and the 15K will melt your fire pot (ok not quite but it seems like it). Cost ranges from lump, to graded and sized, to delivered to pick up at the mine. The closest location to me is 30 miles but the good coal is 120 one way. There are lots of variables when trying to compare prices.

$20/50# bag, unwashed, in bits from small gravel up to about 1" or so diameter. I get it from a farrier supply house about 5 miles from home. He says he orders it from back east by the railcar load about every 3 years. Some obscene amount like 20 tons or something. Seems to be pretty good stuff to me (like I know anything). Gets rr spikes up to forging temp. Cheaper than the 1st bag I bought off the internets - $17.50 for the coal, another $20 or so for shipping, and much more convenient.

• 1 month later...

I get mine here. Hope pasting this is not against policy of the site. I don't make anything off this. This is just where I have gotten my coal. It was $35 a while back. I bought 1000# of it at that time.

Buddy Leonard has blacksmith coal for sale. This is Pocahontas #3 West Virginia Coal specially selected by Buddy for its low sulfur, low ash and high BTUs.
$40.00 / 100 # sack

link removed as per TOS

Western Maine, Agway, USD $14.00 per 50# bag. Not the best but its readily available.

The New England School of Metal Work in Auburn Maine had excellent bulk coal at USD $15.00 per #50 bag. Not sure if they have any more left at this point but it would be worth asking.

Petere76, NESM is still advertising coal at $15/55lb bag on link removed as per TOS. I would call ahead to be sure. I'll be there for a class later this month and probably bring some home.

The last coal I bought was at Quad State two years ago, US$25/bag. I can`t recall which seam, but almost no clinker and cokes very easily.

If I don't go to Quad State this year I`ll probably buy from Rob (Thak) Martin in Floradale, Ont. His current rate isn`t posted but the bags are described as weighing 70 lbs. He does give his delivery rates link removed as per TOS

Like Born Too Late, I buy from Buddy Leonard, The distance to Buddy's shop, and the cost of truck fuel, has me looking for an alternative source. I can store twenty tons indoors on concrete, and sell bags. Might get a truckload of Glenn's #15K . Buddy is getting old (aren't we all?) .

I have a pile of coal about 7 ton next to my barn, our group bought it at an auction, sold half for the price we got the whole 15 ton, and the rest we use and sell to chapter members, 5$ a bucket to raise chapter funds. I agreed to store it for them, so of couse I don't pay for what I use. WORKS FOR ME!!

I haven't been able to find any coal sources in SC. I prefer coal to propane, but I don't know that I can buy a ton at a time when I do find some.

Vaughn;

If you're willing to drive a little over an hour Grace Fuel in North Asheville, (Woodfin) has Blue Gem, stoker size for $385/ton last I bought back in the Fall. Great stuff.

Gents,

Question on BTU content of forging coal. I have never seen the BTU content specified on bagged coal. I only see the generic description (blacksmiths coal etc) . How do you get access to the differnt grades? Can you order it or is it a hit or miss deal depending on the lot?

How do you manage the higher BTU content fires? Are there techniques that supports the higher K value fuel?

Thanks,
Peter

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2012 at 3:05 AM, 1forgeur said:

$14.00 for a 50# bag. Pocohantus (sp?) from Kentucky. And only 10 miles from me!

I would really appreciate contact information for this place, to get current pricing and maybe schedule picking up a load.

Thanks!

seriously, I haven't bought in a while, because I buy it 20 tons at a time. Try Fisher Mining Company in English Center Pennsylvania................hot burning stuff!

I've hit upon a pretty good source of nice coal in Mechanicsburg. Only downside for most guys is you have to go get it yourself. Not practical for anybody but locals but is good coal.

Stuart when I eventually run into you someplace I'll bring you some to try if you're interested.

George