I Forge Iron

stupid blacksmith tricks

Oh Stewart! Fortunately lips heal fast but hurt though you know that. Fortunately it wasn't a really dangerous stupid stunt so I'll go ahead and laugh. Nothing beats a little laugh before bed.

Seriously glad it wasn't worse and we all pull these every now and then. Heck I wouldn't even slap crap out of you, the laughter would be punishment enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

**Safety Note** after you use you're tongs they should do a little dance in the slack tub first---then you Kiss them :rolleyes:
OR hand them to the next smith thats @ the forge
something I see often smiths not cooling tongs much !

Tongs are often made from spring and not a good idea to quench, as they may crack. Best to not let them get so hot as to need to cool.
I had the bad habit of cooling tongs, that was how I was taught so I thought it was the right thing to do. I got a good scolding from Brian Brazeal for quenching a pair of his tongs- have not done it since.

I regularly quench my tongs. They are mild steel and I'm not worried about cracking them. Sorry about your lip but :lol:sorry .

I did wipe the sweat from my brow with the back of my forearm on my tong hand and branded my opposite arm nicely as I reached across :blink: . I feel your pain but still :lol:sorry.

Hope you heal quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I was putting a point on a rotiserrie, and had pulled the piece too far back from the far edge. Caught the edge of my 3 pound cross pein on the anvil, it jumped up and kissed me, right in the forehead above my right eye. I have a 3 corner scar about a half inch above my eye to this day. On the up side the trip to and trough the emergency was 45 minutes, including 3 stitches.

It is awesome going to a new job with stitches in your forehead. Stupid stupid stupid. Stop when your tired, and safety glasses are a must.

A mentor of mine,(but NOT in this) Slim Spurling used to wag his hand back and forth, in between blows in his 50# LG at very low bpm..... :unsure: .....I thought it was about as smart as lifting a 400lb anvil off the ground to put in a pickup truck......He never paid the price so I guess he was the winner, of what I'll never know...........Newbies......... DON'T even think about it! :angry:

Speaking of lifting anvils. I recently talked to an old friend, I hadn't spoken with in, gosh...25 years. We both worked for a Mr Lloyd Hammond who recently passed so I got a hold of him to let him know......We talked about old times and he mentioned chronic pain in his back.........One afternoon in Lloyds shop we had a few cold ones after hours and I made the bet if he lift my 500lb Columbian and put it in his truck he could have it........Steve is not real big but was wiry beyond belief and he actually lifted the thing before he threw in the towel.........He reckons the pain started around that time............

Speaking of lifting anvils. I recently talked to an old friend, I hadn't spoken with in, gosh...25 years. We both worked for a Mr Lloyd Hammond who recently passed so I got a hold of him to let him know......We talked about old times and he mentioned chronic pain in his back.........One afternoon in Lloyds shop we had a few cold ones after hours and I made the bet if he lift my 500lb Columbian and put it in his truck he could have it........Steve is not real big but was wiry beyond belief and he actually lifted the thing before he threw in the towel.........He reckons the pain started around that time............

I probably would have tried that myself too!

Phil

Hot Lips!
I needed a smile to day. Ya gave me one.
I toasted a piece of bread over an open fire (on a Fork)

Don't ask me how I know, but "dont try to clean the rest of the bread off of the fork right after you pull it from the fire!"
The person who did that had lips that looked just like yours! :unsure:
It took a few days for me that person to heal.

Thanks for the laugh Stewart!!