I Forge Iron

New Blade 4 Steels

Robert Yates

Ohhhh ok see your first post wasn't really clear. It almost seemed like you were saying that you made that blade yourself. Then I looked at it a few times and really recognized that shape from somewhere. Thats when i remembered that I was checking out the alabama site and sure enough there it was. I thought you were claiming to have made that knife sorry.

metal99: Nice blade man! Fill us in on the procedure you used!!! Or did you make it? &--#60;starting at post6&--#62;
Samcro: i can not tell the Steel due to it is a WIP and the process is as well sorry .
metal99: So you did make it?
Samcro: Yes
Metal99: Oh . . . ok then. You can get this in any of there patterns that they make. I dont understand man . . .
http://www.alabamada...t/Detail?no=136
Samcro: yes and it will be the new gun steel for our project of 9MM guns Lacy smith is working with me on them . ha is doing the Large nbillets for the build
Metal99: Ohhhh ok see your first post wasn't really clear. It almost seemed like you were saying that you made that blade yourself. &--#60;sniped&--#62;

It seems like there is something strange going on here. First you say its your steel, Quote:new blade with 4 steels (My blend ) and wont tell us about it. Then after another member points out you are getting kit knives (as are most I saw at your link to your web site are from the Jantz catalog) , then you admit its not yours, and that you do not forge. then WHY post it here in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I will tell you this the edit of post were disabled and i was chatting with a few folks at the time of my answer of Yes ! it is my steel and made by Lacy Smith. My Knives are NOT Kit knives Nor of Jants Knife Co. as for Forging Blades I did ,Have , and do lower level folds , However, NOT folds of the 400 + range .

As with any Steel Blend If a knife maker wishes to Patten their Blend it can NOT be Public Information before the patten process is compleated . So NO I can NOT share the composition of it Just yet .
If you have any Questions By all means feel free to chat with me

Sam

Sam I still have some questions and would chat with you but hardly ever see you in the chat room. You mention above that your knives are not kit knives but for sure the one you posted is. And maybe you or someone that knows about these things can help me about a patent: I wonder if you can patent something like a billet of layered steels? I had thought that a patent was for something truly unique. With features or mechanisms not found in other items.

For some reason I can't see the photo. Is it still there? Rich, The Patent Office explains patentability as follows:

In the language of the statute, any person who “invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof, may obtain a patent,” subject to the conditions and requirements of the law. The word “process” is defined by law as a process, act or method, and primarily includes industrial or technical processes. The term “machine” used in the statute needs no explanation. The term “manufacture” refers to articles that are made, and includes all manufactured articles. The term “composition of matter” relates to chemical compositions and may include mixtures of ingredients as well as new chemical compounds. These classes of subject matter taken together include practically everything that is made by man and the processes for making the products. . .

The patent law specifies that the subject matter must be “useful.” The term “useful” in this connection refers to the condition that the subject matter has a useful purpose and also includes operativeness, that is, a machine which will not operate to perform the intended purpose would not be called useful, and therefore would not be granted a patent.

The invention also can't be obvious to a person skilled in the trade, based on "prior art" (prior publicly disclosed information in the field). So you can't (er, shouldn't be able to) patent pattern welding; that's an ancient and well-known process. And you can't patent a process based on pattern welding that'd be obvious to people familiar with pattern welding. But if there's some claim that a unique, non-obvious combination of steels in a particular pattern produces unusual and useful material properties, that certainly could be patentable. From what I can tell, the Patent & Trademark Office does not scrutinize applications very closely to see if what they assert is true; i.e., if the invention actually does what the applicant claims. (I base this on the fact that I've read the patent applications for certain processes patented by a metal worker who shall remain nameless -- I'm not referring to samcro -- and they're bunkum. Very impressive-sounding bunkum, I grant you, but still bunkum as far as I can tell.) It appears to me that the PTO basically just looks to see if the idea is prior art or would be obvious from prior art. If not, the PTO seems to err on the side of granting the patent. I suppose it's easier to grant the patent and let private parties fight it out if there's a problem, as opposed to denying the application and getting the PTO sued.