• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 KjZitur

KjZitur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Several years ago I built a pneumatic treadle hammer. Simple off the shelf cylinder and valve. Step on the treadle, the tup goes down; release the treadle, the tup goes up. It worked, but there was too much back pressure in the lines and the valve and the hammer was sluggish. So I installed quick exhausts to both ends of the cylinder. Doing that brought that hammer to life. Kind of works the same way with this system.
If you love your work, you never have to work a day in your life.

#22 John Larson

John Larson

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks, Ken.
Producer of Iron Kiss air hammers (ironkisshammers.com). See my blog here at IFI.

#23 Madmike

Madmike

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationLozere - France

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

Can I ask a couple more questions Ken ?
Isn't your valve a 4/3 center closed, in order to allow the tup to stop in 'treadle hammer mode' when you stop pushing the treadle further down ?
And when do you use the throttle valve ? I understand the need of a shut off valve but why don't you use the regulator in place of the throttle valve ?
Am I again messing up with 'flow vs pressure' stuff ?

#24 KjZitur

KjZitur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

No, the motion of the tup is controlled more by the linkage than the directional valve. As far as the throttle valve, I have two settings that I use, a low and a high. The low setting allows just enough air to lift the tup and the high setting is wide open. The regulator just gives you some control over the throttle valve. Yes, you could use the regulator in place of the throttle valve but I find a combination of the two a better set up. Most of the time I run the hammer with the throttle valve in the low setting and the regulator pressure is set as low as possible that will still actuate hammer.

#25 Madmike

Madmike

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Ken ;)

#26 jason0012

jason0012

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Locationkentucky

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Is there a link anywhere to a diagram of that valve set up? I havent been able to find one, and it looks a lot better than the Kinyon set up.

#27 KjZitur

KjZitur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Here is the link http://www.kensiron....controlkit.html for the control setup.

#28 Dillon Sculpture

Dillon Sculpture

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationAtlanta area

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thats a sweet package Ken, now I want to build a hammer, wait, what! uh yea.

Ken, can you explain how your set up is different than the sword on the steam hammers? I have only seen control like that which a driver.

#29 KjZitur

KjZitur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Danger. The sword or wiper style has a few less parts. Both styles accomplish the same task. The system I am using is just more adaptable to my design of hammer frame. I also modified the linkage somewhat so that I could control the hammer with the treadle and eliminate the need for a hammer driver.

P.S. Is anyone else having problems uploading pictures?? I keep getting an upload skipped(error403)

#30 macbruce

macbruce

• Members
  • 2,665 posts
  • Locationjohnstown co

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

P.S. Is anyone else having problems uploading pictures?? I keep getting an upload skipped(error403)

Yes. I've found if you get the file size down around 117k they will go. Try setting your camera on the lowest resolution, back up say 20 ft if you're shooting something big like a PH, crop the heck out of it and the file size gets pretty small after that....Lotsa luck

I love the new horizontal slide bar you get when the basic uploader fails.... :mellow:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
Dr. Seuss

#31 Dillon Sculpture

Dillon Sculpture

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationAtlanta area

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

So Ken, with your experience, do feel there is a way to link the control valve and throttle of a steam hammer to make it better perform with a foot treadle? Spring is here, its hammer planting time...

#32 KjZitur

KjZitur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Hey Danger, I would think that there would be a way to control a steam hammer with a treadle, but for me having a treadle instead of a hammer driver would depend on the work to be done under the hammer. I think a treadle would work fine for smaller forgings or maybe some open die work but for larger stock I would much rather have a competent hammer operator so that I can keep both feet on the ground and underneath me.

#33 KjZitur

KjZitur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

I finally got some time to shoot some video of my KZ150...........

#34 Judson Yaggy

Judson Yaggy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationBristol, Vermont, USA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Lmao! Love the eggs! Sets the bar for controll of a hammer. I'll try and crack an egg with my mechanicals tomorrow, good thing my wife keeps so many chickens!

#35 ironstein

ironstein

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • LocationHeber City, Utah

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Excellent control with that hammer. Very nice!

(null)

#36 Madmike

Madmike

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

Thanks Ken, nice video showing the incredible control you achieved :wub:
May I ask a few more questions ?
How was le linkage set up during the video, 'treadle hammer mode' or 'half way - general forging' ?
Is there a kind of bumper to stop the ram at the end of the up-stroke or is the cylinder cushion enough ?

And the last one is for everybody...
Having Ken's quality of control on a hammer what do you think that throttling at the same time that modifying the length/speed of reciprocation with the linkage would add ? Do you think of a particular task ?
On a 'spool valve/top pilot' controlled hammer the treadle throttles the exhaust modifying the speed an length of reciprocation as well, no ?
Kind of belt and braces ?
What am I missing here ?

Anyway I admire the work you've done Ken ;)

#37 KjZitur

KjZitur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

The hammer is set in the general forging mode with the air pressure at about 100psi and the throttle valve set at it's lower setting. Right now I have a 1-1/2" air cushion and it seems to work fine but it would not be to difficult to put an external bumper on this style of hammer.

#38 Madmike

Madmike

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thank you :)

#39 nonjic

nonjic

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:45 PM