I Forge Iron

Hardies

Looking around at a couple of hardies for my new to me anvil. Lucked out and had a good friend give me an old champion cut off hardy. Now just looking for a bottom fuller. Are the ones on eBay made of Ductile iron any good? They are lower in price but figured it might be for a reason. Thanks again for any help.

This is a pretty easy "big stock" project in reality. A bolster matched to your hardy is nice, but not needed. No special tools are needed besides tongs of suitable size.

Just a tip, upsetting the block way down means you have to draw it back out farther.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I also use this as a hot cut and for sliting.
P3011186.jpg
P3131219.jpgP3131217.jpg The small one is a cold cut and is the first tool I made and I still use it over store bought one for cutting steel. They are from rebar that I had left over from resteel strenght test at work, they were ment to be part of a rebar cage for a 12' dia drilled foundation that went down to hard pan. They harden and temper very well.

Long thin tools tend to flex perpendicular to the force applied. Soon the tool bends and the effect is compounded. One makes lots of hammer blows and not a lot of work getting done is the result. The traditional form of hardie can't be beat forged in the correct shape from tool steel. It is a basic tool for a blacksmith workarounds and short cuts don't get you very far in forging.

• 2 weeks later...