I Forge Iron

I was asking around for some sheet steel for a sweet workbench, and a friend said he had a 4x8 sheet of this stuff called Hardox. 1.5" thick.

I've never heard of this stuff before, but did a little research, and it seems like some tough stuff.

I am having trouble finding an approximate weight on this stuff though. Any ideas?

Oh yea, its free.

Nice product for wear surfaces, a XXXXXX to drill & grind,cuts nice with laser and plasma. not so sure of the effect of tack welds to face though.
I blown-away/like your price!

Free??? If you had to buy it how much would it cost? How much time to go pick it up and what else does the guy have that he may give you while you are there?? That would make a great bench. Or cut in in half and have 2 4'x2' on wheels..... Free??? What are you waiting for my guess is that is at least a $1000 pice of metal probably more due to the alloy. Free???

Yea...1 ton is fairly easy to manage, can be pulled on a fairly regular trailer behind quite a few common vehicles. 5 tons is a different story...still not outside the realm of doable, but a whole lot less easy. If you had the truck and the gumption you can probably rent a capable equipment trailer for a couple days for not too much money.

8 hours round trip or one way?

Phil

Actually I have welded a bit of Hardox. Grind the millscale and pull the trigger. 3 and 6 pass stack welds. Some welds 8 feet long (single pass, 5/8 fillet). Welds lay out like a saddle on a sow. Car crushers. Landfill compactors. Pulse Mig. Don't try to drill it. I couldn't make the grade (to my own personal satisfaction) and I left to weld at another place. Most of my gouge skills were learned on Hardox. From 3/8 to 1 1/2" torch cut, formed, rolled and so forth. A Norton cup wheel skates on it unless you get rough and bear down to remove scale before welding. Free is good but that is a long drive.